Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Pharmacy
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Baystate Health, is Western Massachusetts’s premier healthcare provider and home to Baystate Medical Practices, the largest multispecialty group in the region. Baystate Medical Center, is also the region’s only level 1 trauma center and pediatric trauma center.
We are looking for a Pharmacy Intern to join our team!
Pharmacy interns, under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, assist in various activities of the pharmacy department.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of the duties and responsibilities of the position to which he/she is assigned and performs various functions associated with the institutional drug distribution system and in accordance with regulatory and compliance standards included in functions 2-6.
- Accurately compounds, pre-packages, and re-packages medications, including labeling for bulk solid /liquid dosage forms according to department policy/procedure. Accurately prepares and distributes controlled substances according to department policy/procedure.
- Performs aseptic compounding of parenteral admixtures and other sterile dosage forms. This includes the practice of aseptic technique, proper procedures for preparing all types of parenteral admixtures (including chemotherapy or other specialty solutions), preparation of the label and any control records, the proper technique for visual inspection of parenteral solutions, and the documentation of quality control. Employee must also be capable of performing the calculations required for the usual dosage determinations and solutions preparation using weight and volume equivalents in both the metric and apothecary systems.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the general chemical and physical properties of drugs handled in the pharmacy department. This includes identifying medications that are light sensitive, requires refrigeration, are caustic, or poisonous. Employee is also able to use reference books to locate stability information or material safety data sheets.
- Operates automated technology (Pyxis, compounders, computers, etc.) in accordance to policy, procedures and manufacturing instructions. Appropriately utilizes the automated dispensing machines to facilitate medication dispensing in accordance with BH policy and procedure.
- Performs the essential functions relating to drug purchasing and inventory control as needed.
- Dedication to Quality Improvement Initiatives: Accurately refills, checks, locks and stickers code carts according to policy/procedure. Functions in accordance to the operational procedures specific to the various satellites and shifts and is familiar with the various specialty areas and procedures (Chemotherapy, ORs, IDS, BOSC, NICU, etc; Participates in the training and/or orientation of new pharmacy employees. Participates in the BH staff development program – Performance Evaluation (PE) and works to meet departmental, professional, and personal goals. Maintains a working knowledge of medication error prevention methods and handling/preparation techniques for high-risk or high-alert medications, including LASA medications. Understands population-specific preparation procedures (geriatric, adult, pediatric, and neonatal dosage forms and products)
- High school diploma or GED Enrolled in School of Pharmacy
- Registered Pharmacy Technician (MA) or Registered Pharmacy Intern (MA) required
- Previous Pharmacy Technician experience preferred
- Possess good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Understands the principles of staff engagement
- Proficient in computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated math skills
What you need to know:
- This is a Per Diem position
- Located at Baystate Medical Center – Inpatient Pharmacy
- Every 3rd weekend (days/eves; Saturday + Sunday) rotation REQUIRED at minimum – Additional hours available
For more information, please visit us on line at: baystatehealthjobs.com or
facebook.com/Baystate Careers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers.com
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.