Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
We are looking for a Phlebotomist to join our Laboratory team!
Resume required with application
- Per diem, every other weekend and rotating holidays
- Greenfield, MA
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Possesses proficient level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy procedures, principals and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary puncture on diverse patient types in an In-patient, Emergency Room and Patient Service Center settings. Competent with assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patient types. Competent knowledge of routine lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as skills related to specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities.
Possesses proficient level of computer knowledge and typing skills in order to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions, using multiple computer applications for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, following current registration and insurance protocols.
Assists with training of new employees and/or students, as assigned. Position requires that incumbent be detail oriented and possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills. Must posses good organizational skills, being able to multitask and work effectively in a team environment. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Intermediate level of trouble shooting skills. Perform other duties as assigned. Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs.
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen, selecting correct patient and/or episode when performing registration/order entry functions. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy, with 100% accuracy.
2) Demonstrates competent knowledge and proficient level of technical and judgmental skills to perform venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Competent assessments of vein size, location and position for vascular access. Demonstrates proficient skill and judgment of age appropriate care to patients of all ages. Handles and responds to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
3) Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Applies knowledge of specialized testing such as tolerance testing. Ability to calculate minimum or maximum blood volume to collect blood specimens from pediatric patients, according to current protocol, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
4) Performs centrifugation, processing and routine and special specimen handling for accurate testing utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens in a timely manner. Performs packaging reference lab specimens, including specimen handling and applicable tracking logs or paperwork.
5) With proficient knowledge of registration applications, performs full registration for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, thoroughly and accurately entering required information following current registration procedures and with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures appropriate diagnoses. Ability to perform troubleshooting of registration and test ordering, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
6) Performs test ordering and other functions in lab computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry, to include selection of appropriate billing case and entry of appropriate comments. Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Performs standing order applications and prints SOAP requisitions. Performs intermediate level of troubleshooting of test ordering or other related functions, referring issues lead/supervisor as necessary.
7) Performs tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, biohazardous waste disposal, etc. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc.
8) Assists in training of new employees and students from various internal and external programs, as assigned. Learns to complete accurate orientation/evaluations/training records and submits in a timely manner to appropriate lead/supervisor. Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Courteous and helpful with all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and healthcare providers.
9) Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to Baystate Health and/or departmental policy. Observes and promotes the Baystate Health organization Standards of Behavior. Maintains awareness and follows all corporate and Baystate Health and Pathology Compliance policies and procedures. Completes on-line compliance, safety training, educational and or other required assignments within established deadlines. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance.
10) Organizes and prioritizes work tasks in order to allow for smooth operations and maximize productivity. Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws, etc. which apply to specific work areas, incorporating changes or additions into daily routine.
Required Work Experience:
1) Minimum of 12 months experience
2) Completion of a formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, VLA Tech Assistant, etc.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficient knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired through clinical experience
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.