Unit Clerical Support - Baystate Health
Category(s): Administrative Support, Unit Clerical Support
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
***SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE***
We are looking for a Health Unit Clerk to join our Mental Health Unit team here at Baystate Franklin Medical Center!
$3,000 Sign-On Bonus! (Only external applicants qualify for sign-on bonus)
Resume is Required with Application
- Full-Time, 36 hours a week
- Every other weekend and holiday
- Greenfield, MA
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Reports to the unit manager. Daily activities are dictated by the needs of the patients and staff in the unit. Independently works with the patient care team to ensure all business functions related to patient care and flow through the department are effectively carried out. Coordinates/performs intra/inter departmental/facility communication related to patient care and unit functioning.
1) Functions as a critical primary contact for the unit and facilitates/coordinates the collection/dissemination of vital patient and department information.
2) Accurately utilizes downtime forms and procedures.
3) Prepares medical records (copies of the chart, completing all appropriate forms, obtaining signatures, faxing patient demographics, obtaining imaging discs) before patient transfer. Ensures all pages are accurately labeled with correct patient identification.
4) Arranges, per provider order, transportation for patients being transferred to another facility.
That can be air, ground, critical care, or wheelchair, and ensures all paperwork is completed, signed, faxed, and in the packet to go with the patient in the different systems for each mode. Proficient in using SMS, OLOS, MassHealth transportation system, Tele-Tracking, FirstNet, CoreText, SOC system, and Tele-trauma consults.
5) Discharges all ED patients from the department in SMS – discharged, admitted, transferred (all require different processes)- correctly. Additionally, for an expired patient, gathers all necessary forms (death certificate, MD worksheet, face-sheet, valuable sheet, funeral director release form) to accompany the body to the morgue related to medical examiner case vs. non-medical examiner case. Sends complete discharge records to medical records by the end of shift. Assures information is entered into the appropriate discharge screens to ensure the validity of log information.
6) Maintains accurate and timely communications within the unit. Answers telephone consistently in a courteous manner with proper identification and ensure direction to the appropriate team member without delay (at least 120 calls per shift).
7) Answers intercom and relays messages promptly and consistently to team members. Responds to routine inquiries knowledgeably and refers them to the appropriate person.
8) Sorts distribute and files department incoming mail and incoming computer-generated information.
9) Inventories maintain and charges supplies. Initiates requisitions as requested accurately and in a timely fashion. Stores supplies within 24 hours of receipt in designated areas. Records or submits charges and credits for patient supplies as needed. Ensures accurate charging for DME by the team, including ensuring order, DME patient signed form and face sheet for all DME provided by the department to ensure the ability to bill the patient for the supply).
10) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures, including stroke (able to activate stroke without delay regardless of the mode of arrival and time of day/day of the week – SOC vs. BMC and overhead page), STEMI (able to act without delay on the different processes related to the time of day/day of the week. Contact cath lab beeper, notify interventional cardiologist, arrange STAT transportation, and prepare patient transfer packet), sepsis. Mobilizes Code team when needed through immediate telephone contact as evidenced by observation and feedback.
11) Enters transportation orders for all patients traveling to other departments through tele-tracking. Also uses the tele-tracking system to obtain items needed in the department (stretchers, wheelchairs, blood, beds), exchange code carts, etc.
12) Arranges ambulance and other external transportation, including Life Flight for patients transferring to other destinations (>5/day). Includes obtaining auth, providing patient demographics, medical necessity, provider and nursing signatures as required by the transportation provider.
13) Communicates with lab, radiology, respiratory therapy, ultrasound, and other departments concerning all patient orders as needed. Able to obtain necessary forms and instructions for the different modalities and communicate scheduling information to the ED team caring for the patient. Ensures all allied departments have the essential information to provide services to the ED patients. Pages physical therapy and case management individually for consults ordered in the ED, ensuring PT eval performed before CM consult.
14) Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with members of the health care team. Assists team members with patient care activities. Provides feedback to coworkers to promote effective team relationships. Communicates an attitude of positive customer-focused interactions at all times.
15) Orders office supplies for department as needed.
16) Enters work orders for tracking board, equipment, and facility issues.
17) Knowledge of available facility resources related to the time of day/day of the week can connect to the appropriate people/department without delay.
18) Precepts/Mentors new staff members.
19) Accesses MUSE system throughout shift to ensure over reader entered, order attached, and all EKG's done in ED are sent to reader for CIS upload. Obtain order if not present
20) Responsible for overseeing signing out and in Vocera badges and BH pod keys each shift
Minimally Required Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Secretarial experience with computer knowledge required with a minimum of one-year medical secretary or unit clerk experience preferred
Skills and Competencies:
The Health Unit Clerk is critical to the department's success and must maintain a calm, reassuring, professional attitude. Must be able to multitask and be proficient in completing all tasks promptly.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.