Surgical Services - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Surgical Services
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
**SIGN ON BONUS ELIGIBLE**
We are looking for a Surgical Technologist to join our Baystate Franklin Operating Room team!
Up to $7,500 sign-on bonuses for candidates with more than 1 year of experience! (external applicants)
Up to $5,000 sign-on bonuses for candidates with less than 1 year of experience! (external applicants)
Resume required with application
- 32 hours, day shift, on call rotation
- Greenfield, MA
- American Heart Association BLS CPR required
- Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technologist program
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Performs a variety of clinical and technical procedures under the direction of a Registered Nurse. These duties may include, but are not limited to: assisting physicians, instrument and case set up, O.R. room turnover and technical support, maintaining O.R.'s and related room supplies and equipment, on-call duties as required. Similar and related duties as assigned.
This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned.
1) Maintains safe operations of designated equipment and instruments. Inspects and evaluates safety of equipment and instruments prior to use in accordance with established policy and procedure. Removes faulty equipment/instrumentation from patient care area, labels with appropriate documentation. Communicates equipment difficulties to team leader and/or charge nurse. Demonstrates knowledge of safe handling practices of delicate instrumentation as measured by lack of broken items noted on associated cases.
2) Maintains appropriate PAR levels of designated supplies. Monitors levels of supplies in O.R. rooms and restocks as necessary. Inspects sterility dates and rotates stock in O.R. rooms and on specialty carts to ensure lack of waste due to outdate.
3) Assists in maintaining contents in instrument trays, as defined by the needs of the unit or specialty, i.e. provides feedback to service coordinator.
4) Demonstrates responsible and cost-conscious use of supplies and resources.
5) Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Performance Standards. Establishes and monitors the sterile field and team by following policies and procedures related to aseptic technique. Informs Clinical Nurse Leader of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, sterility and infection control as they arise (by completion of work shift).
6) Promotes quality/appropriate patient care within defined limits. Assist with reviewing supplies/instrumentation/ equipment needed for procedure. Reviews physician preference card to ensure completeness of case preparation. Assists surgeon by anticipating needs and following instruction regarding equipment. Maintains safe practice with regard to sharps according to policy. Performs sponge/sharp/instrument counts with RN according to policy. Assists RN with surgical specimen handling according to policy evidenced by lack of incident related to specimen mishandling/mislabeling. Loads case cart according to procedure demonstrating awareness of proper care of instruments as evidenced by lack of instrument breakage. Immediately informs circulating nurse of any conditions which may negatively impact patient care.
7) Maintains attitude and work practices consistent with team goals and positive service responsive relationships. Assists with teaching and orientation of students and new employees. Displays positive/professional attitudes to physician contracts. Consistently displays positive team approach when dealing with peers/colleagues/patient population. Possesses the ability to adjust to sudden change/emergent situations. Shows independent initiative in completing work assignments. Contributes to the goals/mission of the unit on a consistent basis.
8) Participates in staff staff development and education activities. Completes all mandatory in-service updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Attends in-services on a regular basis or reviews in-service minutes. Collaborates with Peers to provide educational programs. Independently seeks educational programs for CEU's, certification, advanced degree, etc. Member of unit/hospital committee. Member of Professional Organization.
Required Work Experience:
1) Completed course in Medical Terminology-Certification and or 1 year of surgical technologist experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology
Skills and Competencies:
1) Demonstrated progress towards completion of college requirements (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology)
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Certified Surgical Technician – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.