Rehabilitation - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Rehabilitation
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Plans, conducts, and evaluates medically directed speech pathology programs for assigned patients designed to restore or develop patients' communication skills and/or swallowing/feeding skills. In doing so, assesses patients with functional and organic speech disorders or with receptive/expressive language disorders, develops treatment programs and modifies treatment in accordance with patient progress. Instructs patients and families in rehabilitative speech/language practices, monitors patients' progress and maintains clinical records. At this level incumbent is expected to function independently. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Observe all health and safety requirements.
1) Identifies, evaluates, treats and follows up clients on an inpatient and/or outpatient therapy basis as assigned. Provides age-appropriate care to patients. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups infant/child, adolescence, adult and older, geriatrics and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients as appropriate per assignment
2) Evaluates the appropriateness of diagnostic and therapeutic materials and equipment. Contributes to purchasing decisions. Responsible for condition of materials, equipment and tests used.
3) Initiates and follows up on necessary action in relation to clients. Determines appropriate plans for clients and recommendations for continued care. Counsels clients, families and others in relation to understanding and assisting in the identification and treatment of hearing impairment.
4) Completes department operational procedures, including scheduling, billing, equipment usage, time-off requests and caseload coverage assignments
5) Demonstrates relevant knowledge and application of clinical skills in evaluation, treatment and counseling.
6) Meets productivity expectations as determined by the department standards.
7) Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
8) Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols
9) Utilizes the professional code of ethics with patient and family to establish therapeutic patient and family relationship. Assumes responsibility for defined caseload of patients/families. Makes clinical decisions on most complex, challenging patients based on the ability to combine theoretical knowledge and clinical experience, uses past experiences to anticipate problems; and mentors colleagues in developing these skills.
10) Performs assessment and collects basic level data to identify appropriate patient/family needs. Collects and interprets complex patient data under therapist supervision. Recognizes the limits of one's own clinical knowledge and seeks multi-disciplinary collaboration with both internal and external resources
11) Adheres to standards of practice, policy and procedures to support comfort with clinical decision making. Makes clinical decisions based on the ability to combine theoretical knowledge and clinical experience for specific identified non complex patients. Plans for expected and unexpected changes with the most complex, challenging patients and mentors colleagues in developing these skills
12) Establishes plan of care with patient/family input and prioritizes the delivery of patient/family care. Recognizes one's own limitation and seeks appropriate internal resources.
13) Documents and ensures follow through with plan of care focusing on patient/family participation and response to plan of care. Takes a proactive role in coordinating multidisciplinary/interdisciplinary discharge planning for specific patient population.
14) Questions appropriateness of standards of care, policy & procedure and protocols. Initiates specific plans for continuous educational development to meet demands of changing professional practice.
15) Demonstrates effective communication, feedback and conflict resolution skills to enhance team functioning.
16) Utilizes and participates in team meetings and discussions regarding patient/family care and/or practice issues.
17) Develops Speech therapy staff by providing information; developing and conducting in-service training programs
18) Assists with on-the-job orientation and training for student interns
Required Work Experience:
1) 3 – 5 years experience preferred
2) Successfully meet career ladder requirements for Level II
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) The therapist demonstrates competent clinical practice utilizing a clinical decision-making process and critical thinking skills to effectively and efficiently deliver patient care with all healthcare providers across the continuum of care
2) Utilizes clinical decision making process to achieve desired patient/family outcomes
3) Experienced Level ST skills, Physiological Knowledge, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Motivating Others, Legal Compliance, Quality Focus, Bedside Manner, Clinical Skills, Persistence, Energy Level
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Certified Audiologist – American Speech Language Hearing Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.