Team Member Engagement - Baystate Health
Category(s): Human Resources, Team Member Engagement
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Under the direction of the Sr. Vice President / Chief Diversity, Health Equity, and Inclusion Officer, the Senior Director of Diversity, Health Equity, and Inclusion will be responsible for developing, implementing, directing, and coordinating efforts integral to the vision, strategy, and goals for diversity, equity and inclusion. This role will promote the successful integration of DEI across the Baystate Health enterprise to elevate BH’s commitment to dignity of all people; examining our systems and behaviors to ensure the advancement of equity by being a healthcare partner and leader in achieving health equity; building and maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve by advancing a culture of inclusivity, belonging and physical and psychological safety; and practicing corporate citizenship that stands out for meeting its mission through shared community prosperity.
In coordination with the SVP/ CDEIO, the Sr. Director will work at all levels of the enterprise to drive various aspects of function, practice, and programming in support of BH’s commitment to cultural humility, dignity and respect, inclusion, and equity. Provide leadership to the advancement of DEI strategy and goals, evaluating and monitoring progress, metrics, and effectiveness of DEI portfolio initiatives and objectives throughout the enterprise. Assess internal and external environment/culture, developing and implementing strategies in conjunction with Human Resources to attract, develop, and retain a high-performing, diverse workforce using the basic premise that diversity and inclusion are primary considerations in the delivery of equity in care. Successful achievement includes building and maintaining collaborative working partnerships with senior leadership, management, all enterprise-wide employees, external leaders, and community constituents to foster a culture of inclusion, awareness, education, and design/implement strategy as pertaining to diversity, equity, and inclusion at Baystate Health.
1) Develops and implements quality strategies and efforts focused on clinical and community health equity aligned with the organizational mission, BH Community-health Needs Assessment (CHNA), and enterprise portfolio. Establish systems for the ongoing monitoring for effectiveness of current health equity-focused efforts in enterprise-wide health care delivery, clinical events, patient-family engagement, employee engagement, HR-related areas (staff recruiting/training, pay equity), and research.
2) Collects and assesses internal and external data and information to gauge where the organization is today relative to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Conducts periodic internal diversity assessments/audits through focus groups, manager meetings/interactions, and surveys to understand potential gateways and barriers to embracing and enhancing diversity and inclusion, while promoting and advancing programs and initiatives of equity in care delivery.
3) Serve as the ODEI Leader for various enterprise-wide initiatives focused on health equity and inclusion, including (but not limited to): REaLD, SOGI, Health-Related Needs, Disability, Social Determinants of Health, Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) and Workforce data assessment. Co-lead process and ensure adherence to current health equity regulatory standards documentation and reporting requirements for Joint Commission, CMS, and MA 1115 Waiver Program (as required by regulatory and organizational standards) focused specifically on health equity and disparities in care of patients. Participate in all health equity and quality measurement and benchmark activities of BH (or externally) as appropriate. Remains abreast of significant changes within data requirements within standards to ensure timely and accurate data collection and reporting (in conjunction with Quality & Safety, Clinical Information Systems, and other departments).
4) Ensures health equity and diversity & inclusion is integrated into all enterprise-wide strategies and initiatives and aligns with Baystate Health Platform through strategy, implementation, and operational plans that promote dignity, inclusion, equity, and belonging for all patients, families, employees, and visitors regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, sexual orientation, abilities/disabilities, gender identity, socioeconomic status, and geographic region.
5) Collaborate with leaders across the organization to embed DEI into all parts of the organization, including advising on the integration of principles and accountability for the evolution of strategies and implementation of initiatives underway. Support the challenge of “conventional thinking” in the evaluation of strategies, policy development or revision, and practices in an effort to provide value and fresh ideas.
6) In conjunction with the SVP/CDEIO and internal/external partners, create evaluation tools and metrics to measure the impact of health equity initiatives, actions, and strategies. Work collaboratively with senior leaders and BH enterprise-wide leadership to establish tasks and performance improvement guidelines that increase diversity and inclusivity within the BH environment, including supplier diversity, workforce diversity, and anchor mission strategies. Lead the development of BH annual Health Equity Report and Health Equity Conference.
7) Bring content knowledge and expertise to assist in the implementation of enterprise-wide/department health equity action plans, education, evaluation of DEI-related goals. Provide leadership in the assessment, monitoring, adjustment, and enhancement of initiatives as necessary to ensure progressive movement in DEI activities.
8) In partnership with Human Resources, develop content, systems, and structure to integrate DEI strategies and solutions in the employee experience, including but not limited to talent acquisition, professional advancement and mobility, employee engagement, belonging, compensation, and structural inclusion. Develop, implement, and monitor policies/programs/process that promote DEI and creates new pathways to increase diversity throughout BH.
9) In conjunction with the ODEI team internal/external training partners, develop and facilitate a comprehensive, multi-modal suite of educational content for effective DEI, cultural humility, and dignity programming and training to ensure effectiveness in patient care delivery practices and creation of an environment of belonging for patients and workforce, inclusive of onboarding, annual education and competency, remediation and coaching, and team-based education. Oversight of training and consultation request process for ODEI.
10) As a member of the ODEI Senior Leadership, support the development of organizational leaders and ODEI members through education, coaching, and training. Responsible for the effective personal management, leadership, evaluation and support to ODEI team members and diversity champions, including but not limited to consultants, analysts, trainers and executive assistant. Oversee training, development, mentoring and advancement of team members.
11) Provide leadership support for the continued evolution and innovation of Business Resource Groups, Inclusion Council, and future DEI affinity-based groups, empowering staff, leaders, and faculty to lead the execution of affinity-based DEI initiatives and programming across the enterprise to include all employees, clinicians, faculty, and trainees.
12) Partner with Marketing, Communications, and Strategy to ensure the creation of communications/messaging, branding, and media that are reflective of Baystate Health’s commitment to dignity and diversity, equity, and inclusion for patients, families, employees, faculty, and staff across the enterprise and within the communities served. Promote strategic alliances and partnerships, develop, and maintain a vast network of colleagues/experts in the field of DEI.
13) Attend community-based, regional and national events focused on health-equity and diversity & inclusion in an effort to influence policy, build positive relationship, and ensure Baystate Health presence in the region and nation. Work in collaboration with the BH Foundation, Office of Community/Government Relations, and other offices as necessary regarding engagement.
Required Work Experience:
1) 10 years professional experience with 5 to 10 years’ experience leading diversity, equity, and inclusion in a large corporate, health care, population or public health environment.
2) General knowledge of healthcare and human resources disciplines (preferred). Knowledge of quality management, process improvement, and change management principles.
3) Experience in developing and managing teams.
4) Proven ability to collaborate on initiatives focused on healthcare disparities, social determinants of health.
5) Experience implementing a strategy/plan and contributing to organizational/operational solutions as a senior leadership level on initiatives focused on DEI, healthcare disparities, social determinants of health.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Excellent oral and written communication skills and confidence partnering with all levels of staff; excellent critical thinking, analytical and organizational skills.
2) Demonstrable skills in developing and executing a diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic plan, which promotes the organization and its mission.
3) Ability to build and foster productive relationships with team members, co-workers, customers, suppliers, and other business and community contacts.
4) Strong aptitude for technology-based solutions.
Masters’ degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree required in Healthcare related fields (Nursing, Medicine, Public Health, Population Health)
Diversity Certificate/Certification preferred
Bi-lingual skills highly preferred
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.