Ambulatory Direct Care Nurses - Baystate Health
Category(s): Nursing, Ambulatory Direct Care Nurses
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Medical Oncology–SHORT TREATMENT CLINIC RN:- Per Diem
The Short Treatment Nurse provides direct care and possesses the basic oncology knowledge to manage the patient's support care needs in relation to their oncology treatments.
Administers medications, therapeutic agents, analgesics, and supportive care to hematology/oncology patients, as well as to patients with non-cancer diagnoses and is able to manage care in relation to these treatments. Performs Access/De-access of central venous devices, evaluates and reports laboratory values, and coordinates care with providers and nursing staff. Demonstrates competency in the perfomrance of simple and complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as venipuncture, administration of IV fluids, medications, certain anti-cancer therapies, care of vascular access devices and declotting of lines.
- Responsible for coordination of services/treatments for individual patients and their families, including communication and/or coordination with physicians, providers and other healthcare disciplines. Utilizes multidisciplinary approach to implement plan of care for patients and families.
- Provides collaborative backup coverage for fellow Oncology Nurse Clinicians. Optimizes the use of team resources by establishing patient priorities based on patient needs and keeping team members advised of needs and plan.
- Utilizes evidence-based clinical knowledge to prioritize and formulate a plan of care based on patient/family needs. In collaboration with physician/provider and other nursing collegues/disciplines, responsible for direct patient care and symptom management including but not limited to: pain management, symptom management, toxicity assessment and management, etc. Evaluates effectiveness of medication, medication changes or the need for any prescription refills. Serves as an advocate on issues related to the clinical changes and physical status of patients.
- Optimizes physical and emotional comfort for patients and families by facilitating appropriate resources, interventions, and/or referrals to community services.
- Communicates with treatment scheduler regarding scheduling requirements for patient treatments, remaining aware of overall operational program needs. Acts as a liaison to ensure all physician orders are complete prior to scheduled treatment.
- Mentors and serves as a preceptor for less experienced staff as needed. Builds and maintains a climate of trust and inspires collaboration with leadership and other staff and departments.
Required Work Experience:
- MA RN License, BSN and CPR required
- 3 years of acute care nursing experience required
- Oncology experience and knowledge of oncology care, protocols, knowledge of chemotherapy, biotherapy, immunotherapy, IV therapy and related supportive measures strongly preferred
Per Diem – shifts Monday -Friday
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Nursing, Diploma in Nursing (Required)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support – American Heart Association, Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Oncology Certified Nurse – Oncology Nursing Society/Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation, ONS Radiation Therapy certificate preferred on hire; certificate required within 24 months of hire for Radiation Nurses; – other, PALS & ACLS required for PACU – other, Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Other, Registered Nurse – State of Massachusetts
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.