Research Support - Baystate Health
Category(s): Research, Research Support
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
This position is accountable to the Supervising Scientist (PI) at Pioneer Valley Life Sciences Institute (PVLSI). The laboratory technician will train with the PI and others in the lab to perform histological analyses, cell culture, assorted cell and molecular biological techniques and animal work if needed. S/he will need to perform basic tasks to keep the lab clean and organized and to carry out experimental techniques after being trained by the PI. The description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform similar and related duties as assigned.
Adheres to system and department compliance policies, and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Performs other duties as assigned.
1) Assist in the generation of data for manuscripts and grants as needed.
2) Organize and clean the lab per protocol.
3) Perform base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. micro pipetting, diluting, tissue sectioning and staining, etc.).
4) Maintain and manipulate mouse colonies (i.e. changing bedding, breeding, weaning, injecting, following experimental models, performing a necropsy, etc.).
5) Learn and develop new methods and protocols.
6) Keep a careful notebook containing details of daily experiments/activities.
7) Add to the lab protocol book as new techniques are developed and improved.
8) Interact with other institute personnel as necessary to perform duties.
Minimally Required Education:
High School Diploma/ GED
2 years of college working towards a Bachelor's Degree
Minimally Required Experience:
Excellent time management skills; plan and handle multiple projects and priorities under deadline
High attention to detail; perform tasks with accuracy, efficiency, and excellence
Experience working both independently and in a team environment
Knowledge of base-level mathematics
Working knowledge of laboratory methods (i.e – sterile technique, cell cultures, histology, animal handling, assays, etc.)
Exceptional interpersonal communication skills, written and verbal
Professional working demeanor
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Biology (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.