Research Support; Orderlies - Baystate Health
Category(s): Research; Clinical Support, Research Support; Orderlies
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
The Department of Healthcare Delivery and Population Sciences is looking to hire a Research Ambulation Orderly to join our team and participate in NIH funded cutting edge research on post-hospitalization outcomes. The Ambulation trial (1R01AG073278) will test the value of regular ambulation in hospitalized patients among 3,000 patients at 6 hospitals. This position will be responsible for working with patients directly in-hospital to determine study eligibility, walking patients, and working with other staff to complete study tasks.
This position will generate research data through completing study protocol activities. We are hiring one per diem research ambulator to support the operations for this study (with weekend hours required). This position is fully grant funded over the next four years. For more information about these trials, see reporter.NIH.gov and search using the grant number.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Screen and recruit admitted patients that meet eligibility criteria on specific hospital units.
• Walk patients multiple times per day according to study ambulation protocols and best safety practices.
• Conduct or collect Short Physical Performance Battery (SPPB), 6-Clicks, Activities of Daily Living (ADL), and other assessments.
• Record study data onto case report forms and transcribe into electronic capture system (REDCap)
• Attend study team meetings to report study recruitment and activity progress.
• Work day shifts and some weekend hours to meet study timeline needs.
• Communicate with hospital unit staff to identify eligible patient’s needs and ensure patient wellbeing.
• Clean research ambulation equipment after patient use. Maintain order in visited clinical units and patient rooms.
Successful candidates will undergo training for ambulating and working throughout the hospital with patients closely to conduct screening tests and study assessments. This position reports to the Clinical Research Manager and overseen by the clinical unit staff. Will be responsible for patient ambulation for the purposes of collecting research study data and reporting. No advanced certifications are needed for this position.
Reports to the Clinical Research Coordinator; this position ambulates patients under their direction and supervision.
1) On a daily basis, accounts for all unit equipment which is to be in working clean condition to include Dyna Maps, Pulse Oximeters, TABS monitors, Mobile Computer Carts, Bladder Scanner and C-90 tablets. handles routine changing/replacement of equipment parts within scope of responsibility. Checks inspection sticker each time equipment is cleaned and return to Clinical Engineering if inspection is due. Removes and red tags equipment requiring repair. Remove and clean equipment after patient use. Maintains order in storage areas.
2) Communicates with unit staff to assess for patients that need out of bed assistance for ambulation around the unit. Obtain chairs as appropriate for out of bed activity.
3) Assists with unit transportation needs to include on/off stretchers for patients arriving/leaving unit.
4) Assembles orthopedic equipment as required.
5) Complete daily standing weights on patients. Reports weight to PCT or RN to put in CIS.
6) Provides for patient comfort and safety – Assists patients with ambulation and positioning under direction of RN.
7) Participates in unit/team projects as requested and communicates effectively with team and patients. Clearly communicates information related to patient to RN.
8) Observes all health and safety requirements including body substances precautions.
Required Work Experience:
1) Demonstrated competency in basic English literacy and mathematics
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Prior customer service experience preferred
2) Prior hospital experience and patient contact preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must have demonstrated competency in simple mathematics, reading, writing, following instructions and checking of patient records and forms
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.