Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Possesses a basic knowledge of phlebotomy procedures and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary punctures in a Patient Service Center setting. Learns to assess vein size, location and position of veins for vascular access from diverse patient types. Develops knowledge of basic lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as development of skills related to specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities.
Develops basic computer knowledge and skills in order to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions using multiple computer applications for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, following current registration and insurance protocols.
Position requires that incumbent be detail oriented. Must possess a high level of verbal and intercommunication skills. Ability to establishing and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Must posses good organizational skills, be able to multitask and work effectively in a team environment. Development of basic troubleshooting skills. Perform other duties as assigned. Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs.
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen, selecting correct patient and/or episode when performing registration/order entry functions. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy, with 100% accuracy
2) Demonstrates basic knowledge and development of technical and judgmental skills performing venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Learns to assess vein size, location and position veins for vascular access. Demonstrates developing skill and judgment of age appropriate care to patients of all ages. Developing knowledge to handle and respond to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
3) Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Learning basic application of specialized testing such as tolerance testing. Under supervision of mentor, learns to calculate minimum or maximum blood volume to collect blood specimens from pediatric patients, referring to current protocol.
4) Learning basic skills related to centrifugation, processing and specimen handling utilizing mentor and available resources as needed, to acquire information and determine specimen collection and handling requirements for accurate testing. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens in a timely manner.
5) Learning to perform full & short registrations following current registration procedures, thoroughly and accurately entering required information with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures signatures for ABNs and MSPs as required. Performs basic troubleshooting of registration processes referring issues to mentor as necessary.
6) Learning to perform tests ordering and other functions in lab computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry, to include selection of appropriate billing case and entry of appropriate comments, referring issues to mentor as appropriate. Learns to contact physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Learning to performs basic standing order applications. Prints SOAP requisitions. Performs basic troubleshooting of test ordering or other related functions, referring issues to mentor as necessary.
7) Learning basic tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, bio hazardous waste disposal, etc. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc.
8) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Courteous and helpful with all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and healthcare providers.
9) Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to Baystate Health and/or departmental policy. Observes and promotes the Baystate Health organization Standards of Behavior. Maintains awareness and follows all corporate and Baystate Health and Pathology Compliance policies and procedures. Completes on-line compliance, safety training, educational and or other required assignments within established deadlines. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance.
10) Organizes and prioritizes in order to allow smooth operations and maximum productivity. Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws, etc. which apply to specific work areas, incorporating changes or additions into daily routine.
Required Work Experience:
1) Completion of formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, CLA, Technical Associate, etc
2) 0-12 months
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Possesses basic knowledge and phlebotomy techniques acquired during clinical externship and/or through experience
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Phlebotomy Technician – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.