Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Possesses proficient level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy procedures, point of care procedures principals and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary puncture on diverse patient types. Competent with assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patient types. Competent knowledge of routine lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as skills related to specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities. Possesses proficient level of computer knowledge and typing skills in order to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions, using multiple computer applications for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, following current registration and insurance protocols. Assist with training of new employees and/or students. May be assigned to work in clinical areas as needed. Position requires that incumbent be detail oriented and possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills. Must posses good organizational skills, being able to multitask and work effectively in a team environment. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Intermediate level of trouble shooting skills. Perform other duties as assigned. Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs.
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen, selecting correct patient and/or episode when performing registration/order entry functions. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy, with 100% accuracy.
2) Competent assessments of vein size, location and position for vascular access. Handles and responds to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
3) Applies knowledge of specialized testing such as tolerance testing. Ability to calculate minimum or maximum blood volume to collect blood specimens from pediatric patients, according to current protocol, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
4) Performs centrifugation, point of care testing and documentation, processing and routine and special specimen handling for accurate testing utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens in a timely manner.
5) With proficient knowledge of registration applications, performs full and/or short registration for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, thoroughly and accurately entering required information following current registration procedures and with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures appropriate diagnoses and signatures for ABNs and MSPs as required for billing. Ability to perform troubleshooting of registration and test ordering, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
6) Performs test ordering and other functions in lab computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry, to include selection of appropriate billing case and entry of appropriate comments. Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Performs standing order applications and prints SOAP requisitions. Performs intermediate level of troubleshooting of test ordering or other related functions, referring issues lead/supervisor as necessary.
7) Performs tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, bio hazardous waste disposal, etc. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc.
8) Participates in training of new employees and students from various internal and external programs. Learns to complete accurate orientation/evaluations/training records and submits in a timely manner to appropriate lead/supervisor.
9) Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to Baystate Health and/or departmental policy. Observes and promotes the Baystate Health organization Standards of Behavior. Maintains awareness and follows all corporate and Baystate Health and Health Center Compliance policies and procedures. Completes on-line compliance, safety training, educational and or other required assignments within established deadlines. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance.
10) Organizes and prioritizes work tasks in order to allow for smooth operations and maximize productivity. Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws, etc. which apply to specific work areas, incorporating changes or additions into daily routine
Required Work Experience:
1) High school diploma or equivalent; Completion of formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, CLA, Technical Associate, etc
2) Minimum of 12 months
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficient knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired through clinical experience
2) Possesses typing skills and basic knowledge of computers
3) Knowledge of medical terminology required, or needs to be completed within 1 year
4) Speak, read and write English proficiently
5) Ability to work under pressure
6) Ability to prioritize
7) Good organizational skills
8) Attention to detail
9) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills
10) Courteous and helpful with all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and healthcare providers
11) Demonstrates competent knowledge and proficient level of technical and judgmental skills to perform venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types
12) Demonstrates proficient skill and judgment of age appropriate care to patients of all ages
13) Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Certificate: Medical Assistant, Certificate: Phlebotomy, Certificate (Required), GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.