Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Possesses advanced level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy procedures, principals and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary puncture on diverse patient types in a Patient Service Center and patient home setting. Proficient level of skill assessing vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patient types. Knowledge of routine and specialized lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as specimen receiving and specialized processing, shipping and handling responsibilities. Performs Point of Care testing and entry of test results in lab computer system. Performs Quality Control and instrument maintenance. Requires ability to troubleshoot POC testing and computer related application issues.
Possesses good typing skills and computer knowledge with ability to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions, using multiple computer applications following current registration and insurance protocols.
Participates in training of new employees and/or students, completing and submitting appropriate documentation. Position requires that incumbent be detail oriented and possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills. Must posess high level of organizational skills, with a high degree of multitasking and independent problem solving. Works effectively in a team environment or independently. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times.
Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs.
May be assigned to various Patient Service Centers to support patient care and staffing demands, as needed.
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen, selecting correct patient and/or episode when performing registration/order entry functions. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy.
2) Demonstrates advanced level of knowledge and technical and judgmental skills to perform venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Performs assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access at an advanced level, with confidence and expertise. Judgment of age appropriate care to patients of all ages. Handles and responds to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
3) Demonstrates advanced knowledge, understanding and application of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Applies advanced knowledge of specialized testing, such as tolerance testing. Calculates minimum or maximum blood volume for collection of blood specimens from pediatric patients according to current protocol, referring issues to lead/supervisor.
4) Performs centrifugation, processing and routine and specialized specimen handling for accurate testing, utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed. Prepares send-out specimens in accordance to regulations. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens in a timely manner.
5) Performs patient registrations, thoroughly and accurately entering required information following current registration procedures with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures appropriate diagnoses and signatures for ABNs and MSPs as required for billing. Performs troubleshooting of registration and test ordering challenges.
6) Performs test ordering and other functions in appropriate computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry, to include selection of billing case and entry of appropriate comments. Requests clarification of information as needed. Performs troubleshooting of test ordering or other related functions, assisting coworkers as needed and referring issues needing attention to lead/supervisor as necessary.
7) Performs Point of Care testing in adherence to established protocols. Prepares various quality control reagents as required and performs and documents daily quality control. Takes appropriate action when QC is out of range. Maintains calibration and cleaning of PSC analyzer according to policy. Orders and maintains appropriate testing supplies. Enters test results in lab system, choosing correct patient and typing results with accuracy and attention to detail. Participates in proficiency testing to meet DPH and CAP requirements.
8) Performs tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, biohazardous waste disposal, etc. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc.
9) Acts as a trainer and mentor for new employees. Participates in training of students from various internal and external programs. Completes accurate orientation/evaluations/training records and submits in a timely manner to appropriate lead/supervisor.
10) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Courteous and helpful with all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and healthcare providers.
11) Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to Baystate Health and/or departmental policy. Observes and promotes the Baystate Health organization Standards of Behavior.
Maintains awareness and follows all corporate and Baystate Health and Pathology Compliance policies and procedures. Completes on-line compliance, safety training, educational and or other required assignments within established deadlines. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance.
12) Organizes and prioritizes work tasks in order to allow for smooth operations and maximize productivity.
Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws, etc. which apply to specific work areas, incorporating changes or additions into daily routine.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Completion of formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, CLA, Technical Associate, etc preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired from clinical experience
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Phlebotomy Technician – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.