Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Performs a variety of duties involving the receipt, assessment, accessioning and preparation of patient specimens for analysis. Verifies specimen identity (type of specimen and patient information), and appropriateness of orders. Accurately accessions the specimen and orders in a laboratory information system and labels the specimen and associated testing components. Performs a variety of procedure, preparing and loading specimens on to automated specimen processing instrument. Archives specimens appropriately and/or ensures appropriate aliquots are delivered to other departments. Responds to telephone and other inquiries for laboratory test information, referring calls to other staff as appropriate. Acquires knowledge of basic laboratory testing, equipment and techniques. May record basic quality control data. Performs full/short patient registration and test ordering using multiple computer systems using laboratory requisitions for inpatient and outpatient, reference lab interfaced testing and STAT specimens. Develops the skills for revising and correcting laboratory requisitions/orders. Establishes and maintains good client relations by presenting a professional manner at all times. Develops telephone skills to answer and direct calls. Ability to prioritize work. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills to work effectively in a team environment. Demonstrates accuracy with strong attention to detail and maintains acceptable level of productivity.
1) Verifies identity, source and appropriateness of specimen for the orders received. Accurately enters orders into Laboratory Information System. Ensures accurate labeling of specimen and any testing components with patient and test information. Uses basic knowledge of specimen volume/quantity requirements to ensure that appropriate prioritization is applied to order of testing and allocation of specimen to other departments or reference laboratories.
2) Following departmental procedures and instructions, carries out basic processing procedures on a variety of specimen types using manual or automated methods, ensuring proper specimen preservation during all steps (positive identification, time, temperature, sterility, etc). Uses judgment to select appropriate materials and processing algorithms based upon specimen type and orders. Refers questions to the appropriate team members or supervisory staff.
3) Accurately and completely enters test orders or “receives” orders into the laboratory system. Develops knowledge of tracking and routine specimens to appropriate departments using the Sunquest tracking system. Uses Sunquest SMART to locate specimens, view instructions on decanting and storage procedures. Enters appropriate comments. Performs short registration on specimens following all current registration procedures using Atlas. Accurately enters information during downtime procedure. Enters all necessary information on SRS forms for inpatients or Salesforce for specimen investigations. Accurately enters patient demographics, ordering physician, location and ICD9 code/diagnosis. Utilizes multiple computer systems to include Sunquest, Outlook, Atlas, SRS, OnBase and Salesforce.
4) Uses Personal Protective Equipment appropriately. Through training, has basic knowledge of hazardous chemicals (carcinogens, caustic agents, radioactive materials, and bio-hazardous substances. Where required, uses aseptic or sterile technique in handling and preparing specimens. Ensures proper handling and disposal of hazardous waste. Per departmental protocols, properly cleans and decontaminates work surfaces and equipment.
5) Possesses basic knowledge of the laboratory equipment and supplies used in specimen processing, which may include centrifuges, processors, refrigerators and freezers. Employs basic troubleshooting skills. Responsible for using supplies within established out dates and for maintaining a clean organized and appropriately stocked workstation.
6) Responsibilities may include maintaining inventory, stocking and supplies, filing, copying, faxing or other clerical duties. Answers phone calls and triages requests for information to appropriate person or service.
7) Prioritizes work per departmental protocols and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Supports the work of others by collaboration and teamwork. Promptly communicates issues that may affect quality of results, turnaround time or other patient or employee safety issues to the appropriate person.
8) In all communications/interactions, demonstrates good communication, customer service and teamwork skills. In all activities works with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
9) Maintains accurate records, quality control or other data. Communicates issues thoroughly, accurately and promptly.
10) Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification if order/information is unclear or does not match. Accurately selects and orders tests under appropriate billing case.
11) Enters all necessary information into Salesforce for some specimen investigations of unclear demographics or test orders and on follow-up forms. Uses resources available for assistance in following up with for clarification on inpatient and outpatient specimens. With some assistance from Supervisor resolves and completes the specimen investigations, contacting Client Services for instructions or question, including using appropriate crediting comments. Brings to the attention of Supervisor resolutions for incorrectly routed specimens to the SMART Problem SPOT, to ensure specimen testing is performed or cancelled as appropriate.
12) Ensures selection of correct patient and episode with 100% accuracy, as well as patient identification and labeling.
13) Answers high volume of telephone calls in a professional manner, providing test results, specimen requirements, accurate and timely testing information or directing calls to appropriate area. Calls ordering or on-call physicians with outpatient test results when requested. Faxes outpatient results to appropriate destinations when requested by ordering physician(s).
14) Follows all departmental and BH policies regarding compliance. Observes and promotes the BH organizational standards of behavior.
15) Willingly accepts changes in the work schedule as necessary to accommodate staffing needs.
Required Work Experience:
1) 0-12 months. Previous experience in a laboratory environment desirable.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None listed.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Good computer skills.
2) Ability to grasp and retain complex information and apply high level of attention to detail.
3) Assume responsibility for timeliness and quality of work performed.
4) Ability to work in complex, high volume environment and to prioritize tasks appropriately.
5) Ability to work as a team with others.
6) Basic knowledge of lab equipment, chemical and biohazards, personal protective equipment.
7) Possesses excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to work productively in a team environment.
8) Basic familiarity with medical and laboratory terminology.
9) Ability to prioritize work.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.