Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Join our Baystate team as a Prep Technician
- 20 hours/per week,
- 2nd Shift
Medical, dental and vision insurance options are available.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjob.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers.
All correspondence can be directed to:
David Craft, Healthcare Recruiter
Entry level position. Performs a variety of duties involving the receipt, assessment, accessioning and preparation of patient specimens for analysis. Verifies specimen identity (type of specimen and patient information), and appropriateness of orders. Accurately accessions the specimen and orders in a laboratory information system and labels the specimen and associated testing components. Performs a variety of procedures which may include inoculation of specimens on to culture media, preparing specimens for microscopic analysis, preparing and loading specimens on to automated specimen processing or testing equipment or other preparatory techniques. Prepares basic laboratory reagents and solutions and may perform certain staining techniques. Archives specimens appropriately and/or ensures appropriate aliquots are delivered to other departments or reference laboratories for further testing as required.. Responds to telephone and other inquiries for laboratory test information, referring calls to other staff as appropriate. Acquires knowledge of basic laboratory testing, equipment and techniques. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures. May record basic quality control data.
1) Verifies identity, source and appropriateness of specimen for the orders received. Refers any questions regarding these to the appropriate technical staff member. Accurately enters orders into Laboratory Information System. Ensures accurate labeling of specimen and any testing components with patient and test information. Uses basic knowledge of specimen volume/quantity requirements to ensure that appropriate prioritization is applied to order of testing and allocation of specimen to other departments or reference laboratories.
2) Following departmental procedures and instructions, carries out basic processing procedures on a variety of specimen types (blood, tissue and other types) using manual or automated methods, ensuring proper specimen preservation during all steps (positive identification, time, temperature, sterility, etc.). Uses judgment to select appropriate materials and processing algorithms based upon specimen type and orders. Refers questions to the appropriate technical staff member.
3) May perform basic staining techniques such as Gram or other stains. May prepare basic laboratory reagents
4) Uses Personal Protective Equipment appropriately. Through training, has basic knowledge of hazardous chemicals (carcinogens, caustic agents, radioactive materials, and bio hazardous substances. Where required, uses aseptic or sterile technique in handling and preparing specimens. Ensures proper handling and disposal of hazardous waste. Per departmental protocols, properly cleans and decontaminates work surfaces and equipment.
5) Possesses basic knowledge of the laboratory equipment and supplies used in specimen processing, which may include centrifuges, processors, Isoplaters. autostainers. bacteriologic loops and incinerators, incubators, refrigerators and freezers. Employs basic troubleshooting skills. Responsible for using supplies within established outdates and for maintaining a clean organized and appropriately stocked workstation.
6) Responsibilities may include maintaining inventory, stocking lab reagents and supplies, filing, copying, faxing or other clerical duties. Answers phone calls and triages requests for information to appropriate person or service.
7) Prioritizes work per departmental protocols and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Supports the work of others by collaboration and teamwork. Promptly communicates issues that may affect quality of results, turnaround time or other patient or employee safety issues to the appropriate person.
8) In all communications/interactions, demonstrates good communication, customer service and teamwork skills. In all activities works with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Consults with appropriate technical person regarding any questions.
9) Maintains accurate records, quality control or other data. Communicates issues thoroughly, accurately and promptly..
10) Follows all departmental and BH policies regarding compliance. Observes and promotes the BH organizational standards of behavior.
Required Work Experience:
1) 0-12 months
2) Previous experience in a laboratory environment desirable
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Good computer skills
2) Ability to grasp and retain complex information and apply high level of attention to detail
3) Assume responsibility for timeliness and quality of work performed
4) Ability to work in complex, high volume environment and to prioritize tasks appropriately
5) Ability to work as a team with others
6) Basic knowledge of lab equipment, chemical and biohazards, personal protective equipment
7) Possesses excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to work productively in a team environment
8) Basic familiarity with medical and laboratory terminology
9) Ability to prioritize work
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.