Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Incumbent must possess advanced level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy procedures, principles and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary puncture on diverse patient types in an Emergency Room setting. Advance level of skill assessing vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patient types. Advanced knowledge of routine and specialized lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as specimen receiving and specialized processing, shipping and handling responsibilities.
Applying a high level of skill and knowledge, performs a variety of duties involving the receipt, assessment, accessioning and preparation of patient specimens for analysis. Verifies specimen identity (type of specimen and patient information), and appropriateness of orders. Accurately accessions the specimen and orders in a laboratory information system and labels the specimen. Prepare and load specimens on to various automated testing equipment. Test specimens using various waived test platforms and report results in the LIS. Archives specimens appropriately and/or ensures appropriate aliquots are delivered to other laboratories for further testing as required. Able to respond to most telephone and other inquiries for laboratory test information, referring calls to other staff as appropriate. Has a basic level of knowledge of laboratory testing, equipment and techniques. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures. Records basic quality control data.
Must posses high level of organizational skills, with a high degree of multitasking and independent problem solving and work effectively independently and/or in a team environment. Position requires that incumbent be detail oriented, possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills and have the ability to work independently. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs.
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy, with 100% accuracy. Demonstrates advanced level of knowledge and technical and judgmental skills to perform venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Performs assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access at an advanced level, with confidence and expertise. Judgment of age appropriate care to patients of all ages. Handles and responds to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
2) Demonstrates advanced knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Applies knowledge of specialized testing such as tolerance testing. Ability to calculate minimum or maximum blood volume to collect blood specimens from pediatric patients, according to current protocol, assisting coworkers as needed and referring issues needing attention to supervisor as necessary.
3) Performs centrifugation, processing and routine and special specimen handling for accurate testing utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens in a timely manner. Performs packaging reference lab specimens, including specimen handling and applicable tracking logs or paperwork.
4) Verifies identity, source and appropriateness of specimen for the orders received. Accurately enters orders into Laboratory Information System and has good understanding of the computer systems utilized within service area. Ensures accurate labeling of specimen and any testing components with patient and test information. Uses high level knowledge of specimen volume/quantity requirements to ensure that appropriate prioritization is applied to order of testing and allocation of specimen to other departments or reference laboratories. As appropriate, is formally trained and has responsibility for packaging and shipping of specimens to external laboratories. Communicates and collaborates with other services to ensure timely, accurate and appropriate specimen allocation and delivery among services.
5) Performs test ordering and other functions in lab computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry. Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Performs advance level of troubleshooting of test ordering or other related functions, assisting coworkers as needed and referring issues needing attention to supervisor as necessary. Performs tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, bio-hazardous waste disposal, etc.
6) Following departmental procedures and instructions, able to carry out most routine and specialized specimen processing procedures on a variety of specimen types (blood, tissue and other) using manual or automated methods, ensuring proper specimen preservation during all steps (positive identification, time, temperature, etc). Refers questions to the appropriate technical staff member.
7) Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to Baystate Health and/or departmental policy. Observes and promotes the Baystate Health organization Standards of Behavior. Maintains awareness and follows all corporate and Baystate Health and Pathology Compliance policies and procedures. Completes on-line compliance, safety training, educational and or other required assignments within established deadlines. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance.
8) Organizes and prioritizes work tasks in order to allow for smooth operations and maximize productivity. Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws, etc. which apply to specific work areas, incorporating changes or additions into daily routine.
9) In all communications/interactions, demonstrates good communication, customer service and teamwork skills. In all activities works with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Consults with appropriate technical person regarding any questions.
10) Maintains accurate records, quality control or other data. Communicates issues thoroughly, accurately and promptly.
11) Follows all departmental and BH policies regarding compliance. Observes and promotes the BH organizational standards of behavior.
12) Prepare and load specimens on to various automated testing equipment. Test specimens using various waived test platforms and report results in the LIS.
Required Work Experience:
1) Completion of formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, CLA, Technical Associate, etc.
2) Minimum of 5 years.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None listed.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Advanced knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired from clinical experience
2) Possesses typing skills and knowledge of computers.
3) Knowledge of medical terminology
4) Speak, read and write English proficiently
5) Ability to prioritize
6) Good organizational skills
7) Attention to detail
8) Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills
9) Ability to work independently
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET
Certified Phlebotomy Technician – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.