Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Performs venipuncture and capillary punctures in an Inpatient setting. Proficient in phlebotomy, specimen requirements and handling, as well as skills in computer functions necessary for patient identification and management of test orders. Works with supervision. In all communications, treats all contacts with respect and collaboration, consistent with Department of Pathology Cultural Compass and Service Promise.
1) Safety. Demonstrates skills/knowledge to: appropriately dispose of bio-hazardous waste; evaluate and handle difficult patient situations (combative, uncooperative, fainting, seizures, excessive bleeding, other patient complications, etc.); use various barrier precaution procedures; appropriately use equipment; and tasks related to safety record keeping. Essential staff in Plan D
2) Technical. Demonstrates skills/knowledge to: accurately identify patients and label specimens; provide age related care; select appropriate site, assessing vein size, location and position of veins for vascular access and performance of venipuncture; basic specimen collection, processing and handling; capillary punctures; calculate minimum specimen requirements; procedures for combining orders, redraws, line draw in order to provide optimal care; specimen prioritization/handling procedures and regulations/procedures for transporting in a manner appropriate to maintain specimen integrity by utilizing the pneumatic tube and /or by walking specimens to the lab; equipment maintenance. Proficient in troubleshooting and problem solving.
3) Work Relationship. Demonstrates: excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills to work independently and in team environment; excellent client relationships on nursing units; appropriate interaction with nurses and physicians in making specimen collection decisions.
4) Information Technology. Displays skills/knowledge in use of basic computer functions/applications, Ex: password, logoff, e-mail; test ordering, standing and future order applications. Appropriately uses, maintains and safeguards beepers and CLM, cellphones and other electronic devices (as applicable).
5) Clerical. Demonstrates ability to secure signatures and complete forms required to meet compliance regulations; complete tasks related to record keeping; print and deliver reports; order and maintain inventory; perform other clerical duties including copying, faxing, stocking and maintaining supplies.
6) Additional duties. Proficient in Sunquest ordering/cancelling and CLM, to include consolidation of orders to avoid additional needle sticks. Proficient at identifying lines and other conditions that make arm unsuitable for venipuncture. Works in adult psych unit/learns to evaluate. Organizes and prioritizes work in high volume, complex work environment, with diverse population, during Code Blue and with Rapid Response units.
Required Work Experience:
1) 12 months experience working as a phlebotomist with demonstrated ability to work independently
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None required
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficiency in phlebotomy, specimen handling acquired through experience
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Phlebotomy Technician – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.