Philanthropy - Baystate Health
Category(s): Communications/Marketing/Planning, Philanthropy
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
The Philanthropy Officer is an important position in the Baystate Health Foundation(BHF)/Development Office, working independently, and as part of the development team, to identify prospects, develop cultivation and solicitation strategies; solicit and close major gifts, and ensure the appropriate and timely cultivation of relationships and stewardship of donors for Baystate Medical Center (BMC), Baystate Children's Hospital (BCH), including community hospitals, and all entities of Baystate Health (BH) including programs and services.The Philanthropy Officer will be responsible for working with donors not only to consider multiple gifts over time but also to ensure their satisfaction with their contributions. This individual will work directly with hospital administration, board members, physicians, hospital staff, and donors, and staff various volunteer committees. The Philanthropy Officer reports to the Director of Philanthropy. The Philanthropy Officer will collaborate with BHF colleagues in support of program funding, fundraising events, capital campaigns, and Foundation activities on behalf of BH and its related entities and programs.
1) Identify, cultivate and solicit those individuals, corporations, or foundations able to make first time, on-going, major, outright & planned gifts to Baystate Health, BMC, Baystate Children's Hospital, BH community hospitals & BVNAH. Engage trustees, volunteers, hospital and foundation staff as needed to support donor cultivation & solicitations. Maintain a major gift portfolio of donors/prospects in order to build and maintain strong relationships with donors in order to ensure their ongoing philanthropy for Baystate Health via BHF and satisfaction with their respective gifts. Make presentations to donors and prospects; write, draft, and edit letters, gift proposals and case materials; solicit and close major gifts and cultivate relationships for ongoing and planned gift support. Conduct preliminary research to identify new donor prospects on an ongoing basis including those that may be associated with fundraising events supporting for entities and services within Baystate Health.
2) Assist with the planning, coordination, and execution of special projects as assigned, including fundraising events in support of capital, program and Foundation goals. Arrange tours, cultivates events, meetings and introductions of donors and prospects to Hospital staff and administration. Use best-practices to conduct discussions and solicitations of various kinds of gifts whether they be annual, major (program or capital) or planned with assigned donors. Identify grant opportunities, craft proposals to private family or public foundations for grant funding of identified funding opportunities. Track regularly through moves-management program prospect development and gift closure in terms of defined personal and philanthropy team goals.
3) Create and sustain connections with Baystate Health's medical and nursing staff, board members, and administrators to complement donor relationships. Staff assigned board and volunteer committees. Cultivate productive relationships with attorneys and financial advisors as well as other not- for-profit organizations that focus on growth of outright and planned giving. Meet regularly and as needed with Baystate Health (and their entities) administration..
4) Participate in BHF team meetings and in meetings with BHF colleagues for the purpose of managing and tracking top prospective donors. Plan and partner, when appropriate, with Foundation staff support on targeted direct mail appeals and assist with events that support Baystate Health's mission. Ensure appropriate acknowledgment and recognition of all gifts and contributions made in support of Baystate Health and entities within the system. Track regularly through moves-management program prospect development and gift closure in terms of defined personal and philanthropy team goals.
5) Experience and dexterity with Blaudbaud's Raiser's Edge or similar fundraising software
6) Familiarity with Moves Management in terms of major gift benchmarking and prospect tracking.
Required Work Experience:
1) Minimum 3-5 years of major gift experience, preferably in a hospital/medical center or college/university setting, with demonstrable success in cultivating and soliciting capital, program, endowment and planned gifts at all monetary levels, with success making solicitations alone, in conjunction with volunteers and organization leaders
Preferred Work Experience:
Skills and Competencies:
1) Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral); the ability to interact with donors and volunteers; and exceptional interpersonal negotiating skills
2) Possess the personal qualities and flexibility necessary to thrive in a metric guided environment
3) Be team-oriented and able to work within a complex organization
4) Ability to work in both an independent and pro-active manner
5) Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
6) Ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders and adheres to the highest standards of ethics in the field of development
7) Proficiency in using development software
Bachelor's Degree – Arts required
Hours/Schedule: Full-time 40 hours – Days
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.