Security - Baystate Health
Category(s): Trades/Engineering/Facilities, Security
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Under the direction of the security supervisor protects life and property of all persons on Baystate Noble Hospital property. Patrols hospital buildings and grounds, acts to deter loss of institution, employees, patients and visitors by preventing illegal entry by unauthorized individuals. Monitors surveillence cameras and reports any suspicious activities. Enforces the access control program. Examines doors, windows to ensure they are secure as well as checking and maintaining security of hopstial vehicles. Monitors fire, security and infant security protection systems. Officer has the responsibility to dispatch of Security officers on all calls for assistance and response to emergency codes. Provides escorts for employees, visitors and patients. Assists in traffic control for fire and other emergent situations.Assists in traffic control. Handles disruptive situations. Conducts prelliminary investigations. Performs special assignments.
1) Patrols assigned areas of the institution and exterior premises on foot or mobile patrol according to established schedule. Report any unusual occurrences property damage and thefts and all suspicious activities. Prepares reports specific to the problem noted. Interacts with staff by communicating crime prevention and security awareness information..
2) Enforces the access control program. Issues visitor badges in accordance with policy. Explains access denials clearly, following policy guidelines. Identifies persons without indetification in all areas of Baystate Health facilities. Ensures doors within the patrol area are secured/opened at correct times and completes unsecured door reports. Documents inspection of high risk areas. Clears floors of visitors as reequested by nursing staff. Issues vendor and other specialty badges. Takes immediate action to correct security/safety problems. Conducts building rounds to ensure that doors/windows are securely locked. Responds to request to lock and unlock doors and also secures doors according to specified schedules.
3) For staff assigned to BMC ONLY. Performs all duties in the command center. Operates the Premisys access control system by acknowledging alarms, opening doors and reporting unusual events to the supervisor. Monitors surveillance cameras, fire and security and infant alarm systems. Ensures correct responses and notifications are made. Dispatches call for assistance as received and appropriate personnel to the scene of the incidents within established time limits as provided in response instructions. Provides information to the public as needed. Responds to and initiates calls to the Springfield Police on the Comnet radio system.
4) Responds to codes and other emergencies immediately as directed by the supervisor. Operates fire equipment following department procedures. Has a working knowledge of emergency repsonse plans and assists the supervisor in setting up the emergency operations center (EOC) and staffs the EOC as required. Will also notify Police when appropriate.
5) Assists in traffic control. Keeps fire lanes clear of traffic. Provides direction to visitors on parking and patient pick-up areas. Performs traffic contol for helicopter landings. Follows procedures for enforcement of parking rules and completes reports. Control vehicle traffic in and around the institution to prevent congestion.
6) Handles disruptive situations. Understands policy on use of force. Employs proven crisis intervention techniques. Demonstrates understanding of restraint protocols. Works with other departments to provide a team approach to solving disruptive incidents.
7) Provide escorts as directed by security supervisor. Ensure safe escort to employees and visitors within and when leaving the institution as requested.
8) Conducts prelliminary investigations. Collects all required preliminary information at scene of incident which includes personal data, property data, relevant times and circumstances. Renders a report in a timely manner. Conducts complete investigations on lost and found property cases. Checks all repositories, nursing units and shows the ability to trace patient progress through the facility..
9) Performs special assignments. Controls the movements of patients identified by the medical staff as being at risk. Provides temporary support to clinics, offices or other areas as required. Operates shuttles and performs mobile patrols. Provide emergency transport of persons, records and specimens. Provides security for special events.
10) Provides escorts. Ensures timely and safe escort to employees and others within the medical facility and to parking lots. Performs patient watches in Emergency Department and on inpatient units on occasion and upon request.
11) Demonstrates and models principles of service excellence in support of the patient /employee experience.
12) Monitors Utility alarm panels med gas/nitrous oxide. BMC Only
13) Monitors alarms and activity for Global Threat Reduction Initiative for the Blood Irradiator rooms. BMC only.
14) Photo ID System- has working knowledge on ID sytem to create, reprint ID badges and provide access in both 9000 and Premisys System.
15) Completes reports and summarizes incidents and records events in a timely and professional manner.
16) Demontrates professionalism when directing employees, staff, visitors and patients to all areas of the hospital as requested. Provide assistance to above as needed.
17) BFMC Only- will assist with duties of operator on the 11pm-7:30am shift, by providing Code Red and Code Blue information to the Operator in Springfield so overhead announcements can be made.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) 3-6 months military, police, fire , corrections, behavioral health or healthcare security experience
2) If no security related experiece an Associates or Bachelor degree in related field may be considered in lieu of experiece
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficient in mircosoft word, have report writing skills, good customer service/communication skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Driver License – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.