Payroll - Baystate Health
Category(s): Finance, Payroll
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Reports to the Senior Director, Treasury, for performing a variety of duties involving the management of the payroll function for all Baystate Health corporations.
Function as the primary lead for the automated time reporting (Kronos) and payroll system (Workday), as well as the prior payroll system (PeopleSoft) for historical reporting. Update automated systems as required based on changes in personnel policies, legislation, system upgrades, vendor or business partner requirements, etc. Utilize automated system functionality to maximize time reporting and payroll processing. Train payroll staff and departmental supervisors on automated system use. Maintain time reporting and payroll processing manuals.
Directly supervise payroll personnel, including hiring, evaluation, scheduling, and orientation training; recommend employee transfer, promotion, wage changes, discipline, termination, and similar actions. Resolve grievances and personnel problems by referring questionable cases or problems to superiors. Implement procedures to improve the productivity of payroll section personnel. Serve as lead and main contact for any payroll system updates that impact other BH systems (Lawson, BPC, etc).
1) Responsible for all aspects of $1 billion annual payroll for all 12,000 Baystate Health employees, 10 companies, and six states, as well as administration, setup, security, and support of the time and attendance system. Act as lead Payroll and key Finance resource for any and all projects related to the complex Kronos, Workday payroll systems, as well as any other projects involving Payroll, including routine system maintenance and major system upgrades and implementations. Responsible for all complex and detailed Kronos pay rule creation and changes, as required by changes to pay policies, government legislation, and various union contracts. Use industry best practices whenever possible, in conjunction with BH policies.
2) Create and provide customized reports to employees, management, and various business partners and departments as required, using Workday reporting and the Kronos reporting module, providing all data electronically and paperless whenever possible. Assure confidentiality and secure electronic transfer of payroll information. Manage any changes to electronic transfers that may arise due to changes with outside vendors. Develop and test any new interfaces or changes to current interfaces that involve both external and internal systems, including but not limited to Lawson, BPC, Grants Management, etc.
3) Ensure accurate, timely, and reconciled processing of payroll and associated financial reports for all 10 Baystate Health companies and 12,000 employees. Act as the main point of contact, and Baystate lead all data transfer and interface changes to ADP SmartCompliance services for tax payments, quarterly and annual reporting, and garnishment processing. Work with ADP to address any issues with data or files, at both employee and company levels. Ensure all wage and tax data is reconciled for quarterly and annual ADP processing to various government agencies, including all Federal and state government agencies (IRS, Social Security Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, and all Massachusetts, Connecticut,
etc) Assist Tax Department in addressing any issues that need to be researched.
4) Act as main payroll contact, key liaison, and critical resource for any business requests from key partners, including Human Resources, Tax, Compensation, Benefits, Information Services, Internal Audit, Treasury, Budget, etc. Establish appropriate internal control procedures and assure compliance with the same. Responsible for payroll data requests from internal and external auditors for all ongoing system and departmental audits.
5) Responsible for timely and accurate distribution of $35 million biweekly payroll and providing necessary data to Treasury and Tax departments for the funding and payment of all wages and taxes. Ensure biweekly electronic direct deposit file transfers are done timely and accurately for employee pay and garnishment payments.
6) Ensure accurate and uniform reporting of employee time by the departmental supervisor, consistent with current personnel policies. Assist with the development of training documentation, materials, and system training databases for managers. Educate system users when corrective action is necessary.
7) Maintain payroll records required by federal and state agencies, updating procedures as required by changes in payroll tax legislation. Analyze, test, and implement any changes to payroll systems due to changes in federal and state laws and regulations and any vendor-required system updates and upgrades using the Workday Payroll Compliance Updates functionality. Implement any changes to pay practices and system configuration as required by union regulations and changes to BH policies.
8) Directly supervise all payroll personnel, including the exempt positions of Payroll System Administrator and Payroll Supervisor. Responsible for hiring, evaluating, scheduling, and orientation training. Also, recommend employee transfer, promotion, wage changes, discipline, termination, and similar actions. Assist payroll staff with any processing questions they have. Assist with any more complex issues that may arise, and assist with any problems employees might have that require manager assistance.
9) Reconcile $20 million biweekly direct deposit transmission, as well as TSA, United Way, and garnishments. Process employee travel expenses and adavnces, tuition reimbursements, bonus payments, variable compensation payments, and any other payments to employees as required. Whenever possible, use electronic functionality for the routing and submission of payment requests and keep payroll processing as paperless as possible.
10) Work with attorneys and BH leaders as needed in matters related to compensation, union arbitrations, attendance, or any other matters involving payroll information. Create and provide reports and queries from systems as required for any such inquiries.
11) Communicate any payroll changes to managers and employees as needed.
12) Assist with any special Finance projects as needed. Act as Payroll's main point of contact for any such projects.
13) Act as the main contact and primary processor for all BH Exeucytive payroll activities. This includes but is not limited to bonuses, gross-ups, financial planning, SERP, pension restoration, severance, and regular bi-weekly pay. Assist executives with any questions they have involving payroll.
14) Perform any and all day-to-day payroll processing, including data entry, filing, phone calls, etc., whenever the payroll department staff requires assistance. Assist with employee customer service when needed.
Required Work Experience:
1) 10 years of managerial experience in a complex payroll environment. Significant experience running a payroll system for a large multi-corporation.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Experience with multi-state, multi-union payroll. Experience in a healthcare environment.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Advanced skills in complex automated payroll systems such as Workday, Lawson, ADP, etc.
2) Strong understanding of Kronos Time and Attendance system, including end- user functions and system configuration, including Pay Rules and Work Rules.
3) Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and state payroll tax laws and regulations.
4) Experience with interpreting union contracts. Strong skills with various Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
5) Ability to effectively manage a payroll staff.
6) Strong analytical skills.
7) Strong verbal and written communication skills.
8) Excellent organizational and time management skills.
9) Ability to maintain confidentiality.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts (Required), Master of Arts
Certified Payroll Professional – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.