Security - Baystate Health
Category(s): Trades/Engineering/Facilities, Security
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
We are looking for a Patrol Officer to join our Security team here at Baystate Franklin Medical Center!
Resume Required with Application
- 24 hours per week, Third shift
- Weekend and holiday rotation
- Greenfield, MA
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Under the direction of the Security Supervisor, the Patrol Officer protects life and property of all persons on Baystate Franklin Medical Center property. Patrols hospital buildings and grounds, acts to deter loss of institution, employees, patients and visitors by preventing illegal entry by unauthorized individuals. Monitors surveillance cameras and reports any suspicious activities. Enforces the access control program. Examines doors, windows to ensure they are secure as well as checking and maintaining security of hospital vehicles. Monitors fire, security and infant security protection systems. Officer has the responsibility to dispatch of Security officers on all calls for assistance and response to emergency codes. Provides escorts for employees, visitors and patients. Assists in traffic control for fire and other emergent situations. Assists in traffic control. Handles disruptive situations. Conducts preliminary investigations. Performs special assignments.
1) Patrols assigned areas of the institution and exterior premises on foot or mobile patrol according to established schedule. Report any unusual occurrences property damage and thefts and all suspicious activities. Prepares reports specific to the problem noted. Interacts with staff by communicating crime prevention and security awareness information.
2) Enforces the access control program.
Issues visitor badges in accordance with policy. Explains access denials clearly, following policy guidelines. Identifies persons without identification in all areas of Baystate Health facilities. Ensures doors within the patrol area are secured/opened at correct times and completes unsecured door reports. Documents inspection of high risk areas. Clears floors of visitors as requested by nursing staff. Issues vendor and other specialty badges. Takes immediate action to correct security/safety problems. Conducts building rounds to ensure that doors/windows are securely locked. Responds to request to lock and unlock doors and also secures doors according to specified schedules.
3) Responds to codes and other emergencies immediately as directed by the supervisor. Operates fire equipment following department procedures. Has a working knowledge of emergency response plans and assists the supervisor in setting up the emergency operations center (EOC) and staffs the EOC as required. Will also notify Police when appropriate.
4) Assists in traffic control.
Keeps fire lanes clear of traffic. Provides direction to visitors on parking and patient pick-up areas. Performs traffic contol for helicopter landings. Follows procedures for enforcement of parking rules and completes reports. Control vehicle traffic in and around the institution to prevent congestion.
5) Handles disruptive situations.
Understands policy on use of force. Employs proven crisis intervention techniques. Demonstrates understanding of restraint protocols. Works with other departments to provide a team approach to solving disruptive incidents.
6) Provide escorts as directed by security supervisor. Ensure safe escort to employees and visitors within and when leaving the institution as requested.
7) Conducts preliminary investigations. Collects all required preliminary information at scene of incident which includes personal data, property data, relevant times and circumstances. Renders a report in a timely manner. Conducts complete investigations on lost and found property cases. Checks all repositories, nursing units and shows the ability to trace patient progress through the facility.
8) Performs special assignments. Controls the movements of patients identified by the medical staff as being at risk. Provides temporary support to clinics, offices or other areas as required. Operates shuttles and performs mobile patrols. Provide emergency transport of persons, records and specimens. Provides security for special events.
9) Provides escorts. Ensures timely and safe escort to employees and others within the medical facility and to parking lots. Performs patient watches in Emergency Department and on inpatient units on occasion and upon request.
10) Demonstrates and models principles of service excellence in support of the patient /employee experience.
11) Photo ID System- has working knowledge on ID system to create, reprint ID badges and provide access in both 9000 and Premisys System.
12) Completes reports and summarizes incidents and records events in a timely and professional manner.
13) Demonstrates professionalism when directing employees, staff, visitors and patients to all areas of the hospital as requested. Provide assistance to above as needed.
14) Will assist with duties of operator on the 11pm-7:30am shift, by providing Code Red and Code Blue information to the Operator in Springfield so overhead announcements can be made.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) 3-6 months military, police, fire, corrections, behavioral health or healthcare security experience
2) If no security related experience an associate or bachelor's degree in related field may be considered in lieu of experience.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficient in Microsoft word, have report writing skills, good customer service/communication skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associate of Arts, GED or HiSET (Required)
Driver License – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.