Patient Care Technicians - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Patient Care Technicians
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Flex Team PCTs will function in a supportive role to a registered nurse and work collaboratively with the health care team in the management of patient care. This position on the Flex Team allows the applicant to gain experience in providing care to a diverse patient population; Flex Team PCTs will float to multiple units in both the adult and children's hospital based on patient census and staffing needs. Flex Team PCTs report to the Clinical Manager but daily activities will be coordinated by the RN. PCTs will perform direct patient care (hygiene, skin care, mobility and assistance with elimination needs), obtain and record vital signs, collect laboratory specimens, document intake/output, communicate effectively with patients/staff, promote patient safety and function as a team member within the health system. Adherence to system and department compliance policies and any and all applicable laws and regulations is mandatory. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Provides age-appropriate care to patients by demonstrating the knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when implementing care for patients.
2) Monitors basic physiological parameters: including taking and recording routine vital signs within the specified timeframe as indicated by periodic review of documentation, obtain and document weights/heights, abdominal girths, chest circumference, head circumference (Pediatric Service), consistently reports any significant deviations in vital signs as outlined in the procedure immediately, and records and reports, any change in patient's normal drainage pattern, i.e. gastric, wound, blood
3) Administers treatments and procedures in accordance with BMC policy/procedure.
4) Assists patients with elimination of body wastes.
5) Performs POC testing.
6) Assist in the delivery of ancillary services as directed.
7) Acts as a role model and effectively communicates effectively with team, patients and family: interacts with patients in a respectful and informative manner; clearly communicates information related to patient care to the team; recognizes culturally based patient and family needs
8) Demonstrates independence in ability to respond to emergency patient care situations. Ensures that overall unit /patient care operations remain effective during emergencies
9) Functions as a member of the team by assisting team members with clinical activities, providing feedback related to the team process and assisting team members with non-clinical activities. Expected to perform PCT education and oversight of PCT orienteers and precepting in all procedures on unit. Collaborates with unit educator to ensure adequate training of other PCT's in new equipment and procedures.
10) Competencies and completion and maintenance of clinical recognition program for career ladder level.
Required Work Experience:
1) At least 1 year of in-patient/hospital experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Experience caring for adults and pediatric patients a plus
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Certified Nurse Aide – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.