Patient Care Technicians - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Patient Care Technicians
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
***SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE***
We are looking for a Patient Care Technician (PCT) to join our Med/Surg/Tele team at Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield, MA!
$3,000 Sign-On Bonus! (Applicant must have at least 1 year of inpatient experience OR is CNA certified to qualify for sign-on bonus) (Only external applicants qualify for sign-on bonus)
Resume Required with Application
- 24 hours per week
- Third shift (10P-630A)
- Every other weekend and every other holiday (additional pay when scheduled on weekends and holidays)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually.
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service.
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Daily activities are coordinated by the Registered Nurse (RN). The PCT will perform a variety of technical tasks and bedside functions. Responsibilities include but are not limited to Direct Patient care, hygiene, skin care, mobility, and monitoring. Will have multi-skills for what is needed on the unit, to perform all duties relative to phlebotomy and EKGs. The PCT is expected to manage equipment and perform or assist in all procedures on the unit. The incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned.
1) Provides age-appropriate care to patients.
Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when implementing care for patients.
2) Monitors basic physiological parameters.
Takes and records routine vital signs within the specified timeframe as indicated by periodic review of documentation. Obtains and documents weights/heights, abdominal girths, and head circumference (Pediatric Service) as per physician/nurse order 100% of the time as indicated by quarterly review of 5 records. Consistently reports any significant deviations in vital signs as outlined in the procedure immediately. Records and reports, 100% of the time, any change in the patient’s normal drainage pattern, i.e. gastric, wound, blood.
3) Administers treatments and procedures per BMC policy/procedure.
Changes dressings within one hour of the specified timeframe per established procedure. Provides post-mortem care as directed by RN according to Baystate Health's policy.
Performs all procedures outlined in the nursing procedure manual within the area of responsibility per specifications. Assists physicians with exams and simple procedures. Assures the identity of the patient by checking the identification bracelet and identification band before performing any procedure.
4) Assists patients with the elimination of body wastes.
Makes available or offers bedpan, urinal, and emesis basin immediately after patient request as indicated by the absence of patient complaints.
Accurately labels and sends specimens of urine, feces, and sputum within 30 minutes of the specified time frame unless discussed with RN as evidenced by random review of reports. Accurately measures and records intake and output per established policy as indicated by random review of intake and output forms. Administers enemas or Harris Drips as ordered per the established procedure as observed.
5) Performs Point of Care (POC) Testing
6) Assist in the delivery of ancillary services as directed. Assists with treatment by following specified treatment plans developed for individual patients. Monitors patient’s condition during treatment and notifies appropriate personnel of unexpected occurrences. Provides information to RN based upon an observation made during patient-related care. Provides treatment within the specified time frame. Documents treatments and activities consistently
7) Communicates effectively with team and patients. Interacts with patients in a respectful and informative manner. Clearly communicates information related to patient care to the team. Recognizes culturally based patient and family needs.
8) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures. Responds effectively in emergency situations as observed. Maintains Patient safety at all times. Communicates effectively with appropriate personnel.
9) Functions as a member of the team
Assists team members with clinical activities. Provides feedback related to
the team process. Assists team members with non-clinical activities.
10) Competencies and completion and maintenance of clinical recognition
program for career ladder level.
11) Demonstrates competency for one-to-one observation of patients based on department and unit-specific needs.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Prior patient care experience (this experience can vary in level of long-term care, specialty, acute care, etc.).
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficient in reading and writing in English
2) Able to maintain professional composure in medium to high-stress situations
3) Effective communication skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Certified Nurse Aide – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.