Billing - Baystate Health
Category(s): Finance, Billing
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Summary: This is a 16-32 hour Per Diem position
The Patient Billing Services Representatives are key to the success of the hospital billing processes. They handle the majority of communications regarding the revenue cycle and billing processes after the patient has been seen. While the majority of this communication takes places in a high volume call center environment, written internal and external communication regarding bills is also handled in this role. The incumbent will be responsible for investigating and resolving patient questions and concerns regarding their bills and services timely and accurately. This will involve using multiple software programs and analyzing account transactions. Strong written and verbal communication skills are imperative, as well as the ability to listen to and interpret patient concerns correctly, while asking probing questions to get to the root of the problem. Organizational and follow-up skills are key to being successful. Additionally, the incumbent will work with attorney offices to supply itemized bills and billing information, document accounts involved in bankruptcy, audit or subpoena proceedings.
1) Ability to effectively deal with problematic patients on the phones and in person. Able to identify possible compliance and quality of care issues accurately, and referring them to the supervisor timely for resolution.
2) Answer patient calls in a call center environment, working all accounts fully using appropriate websites and payment systems. Able to stay calm under pressure and ability to multitask.
3) Reviews and completes all patient, insurance, and attorney correspondence, as well as researching return mail addresses
4) Obtain supporting documentation and other information required to insure proper resolution of patient disputes.
5) Update billing and demographic information via on-line billing systems, as needed. Document pertinent account information pertaining to all patient issues and outcome.
6) Maintain or exceed department specific productivity and quality measurements
7) Utilizes all department and Health System policies and procedures, makes recommendations for new processes as needed.
8) Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills that are professional and concise.
9) Interact and communicate effectively with inter-departmental units when necessary.
10) Participate in Education, Training and Cross-training activities as needed.
Required Work Experience:
1) One year Hospital Medical Billing and/or Collection experience required, two or more years experience preferred
2) Two-five years customer service experience preferred in a call center environment
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Excellent PC skills required
2) Strong investigative skills to identify root causes of patient concerns
3) Very strong oral and written communication skills
4) Ability to work with patients and staff in a professional and efficient manner to resolve issues
5) Able to work independently and within a team
6) Ability to multitask, and think outside the box
7) Follow up and organizational skills are mandatory for this position
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.