Supply Chain - Baystate Health
Category(s): Finance, Supply Chain
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Thank you for applying to Baystate Health. Please note these details:
OR Assistant Specialist
Hours: Full time
Please provide a resume with application
The position consists of wide variety of supply chain activities including maintaining the quality and the ordering of operating room general equipment. The OR Asst Specialist is the key liaison between Materials Management and surgical services for the majority of supply chain services. The Specialist is responsible for working with the clinical department service line supervisors and staff to ensure appropriate product is stocked in rooms and sub utility areas to meet the needs clinically for patient care. In addition, the Specialist is responsible for providing patient care equipment and sterile re-processed goods to internal customers.
The Specialist, under the general supervision of a Registered nurse, performs a variety of routine direct and indirect patient care activities within the established department policies and procedures of Perioperative Services. He/she assists with the turn over of OR suites, inspection and cleaning of equipment, transport of equipment/instruments/and supplies as directed by OR charge nurse/supervisor. Has no supervisory duties, reports to unit supervisor and designated member of the management team. Interacts with nursing and technical personnel, patients, physicians and members of the health care team.
Specialist will perform preventive maintenance on assigned equipment as directed or required. They will also detect and report faulty operation of equipment and work with clinical engineering to get repaired. They will refer unusual cases or problems to supervisor or manager. The OR assistant specialist will prepare and maintain required records of time, materials and supplies.The incumbent is expected to perform similar tasks and other duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of the Lawson as it relates to ordering equipment.
2) Initiates the stock replenishment process and handles re-stocking of supplies within the OR space, sub utility rooms and within assigned OR rooms.
3) Works with the service line supervisors to ensure all needed equipment is complete IE: Pedal are with the machines.
4) Verifies accuracy of items received, inspects packaging to ensure sterility and integrity, and handles all inventory in a safe manner. Stores all equipment and supplies in designated location, and checks & rotates all dated material. Assembles equipment upon arrival to unit.
5) Follows event-related sterility policy for handling patient care equipment and rotation of dated supplies i.e. check for out dates.
6) Maintains an inventory of patient care equipment to ensure availability for clinical service areas.
7) Will assist with the verification that all the needed supplies are on the case cart for all cases within their assigned areas.
8) Maintains work areas and equipment in safe, neat and orderly condition.
9) Provides age-appropriate care to patients within defined limits.
10) Participates in staff development and education activities.
11) Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Informs CNM/Charge RN of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, aseptic, infection control prior to completion of scheduled shift. Empties,washes and refills sub sterile rooms Virex #5 containers and mop buckets. Cleans OR rooms (ie. mop floor, remove trash/linen, clean furniture/equipment) between cases. Prepares OR for surgery according to procedure area (ie. tenet bed). Removes faulty equipment from area, labels it appropriately and reports to Charge RN. Follows policies/procedures relative to Body Substance Precautions. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment at all times. Maintains confidentiality when interacting with patients and their families.
12) Completes all mandatory in-service updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Shows initiative when learning new procedures.
13) Maintains appropriate PAR levels of designated supplies. Assists in maintaining established supply PAR levels 100% of the time as defined by the needs of the unit and the OR ordering schedule. On a daily basis, orders and replenishes necessary OR supplies; i.e., mops, linen bags and scrubs. Independently checks and restocks blanket warmer throughout the day. Check and fill scrub rooms with mask, Avagard and scrub brushes.Order filters for ROI.
14) Provides appropriate patient care within defined limits. Remains in assigned area 90% of the time to assist transporting patient into room. Provide necessary and appropriate equipment to assigned operating rooms as requested by nursing staff. Be available for positioning of patient. Check Neptune cleaning room for Neptune(s) needing a wash and then check all ORs to ensure a Neptune is present.
15) Monitors/records temperature of graft freezer, fluid warmers and blanket warmer. Weekly checks and records all eye wash stations.
16) Initial evaluation and trouble shooting for equipment and facility mechanical malfunctions. Works with other trades personnel. Submits and follows up on work orders for repairs.Performs small repairs (ie. change lighting elements) as appropriate.
17) Monitors oxygen levels in all tanks and reorders when needed.
18) Transports patients to and from pre-op when necessary to maintain efficient work flow.
Required Work Experience:
1) Maintenance/ mechanical background/experience preferred.
2) Must successfully complete orientation program for OR Assistant.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None listed.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must possess the ability to make sound judgments and solve problems within the scope of responsibility.
2) Perform various activities according to priority and emergent situations.
3) Must demonstrate initiative in completing tasks and requires the ability to work towards defined objectives with a minimum amount of supervision.
4) Proven ability to demonstrate creativity in gaining efficiencies in the healthcare environment required.
5) Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with nursing, physicians, and other members of the health care team in a courteous and effective manner.
6) Must posses basic computer knowledge.
7) Must be able to follow instructions and be able to perform a number of activities according to priority.
8) Able to think independently and work under stressful and emergency situations.
9) Projects a positive attitude and sincere concern for all patients, customers, and co-workers.
10) Communicates and responds effectively in a courteous and helpful manner with patients, visitors, and staff as observed by manager.
11) The position demands continuous attention to detailed instructions requiring good hand-to-eye coordination, mechanical ability and effective problem solving and analytical skills.
12) Demonstrates the ability to “Go the extra mile” in meeting all customer needs as observed by manager or customer feedback.
13) Encourages and supports a customer service approach among work groups and team members as observed by manner and feedback from others.
14) Maintains inventory of assigned areas in accordance with established departmental procedures.
15) Ensures that all daily inventories scheduled are performed.
16) Maintains order for floor stock in proper location.
17) Monitors par levels and returns excessive overstock within 24 hours of coverage as observed by coordinator or supervisor and or customer feedback.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Heart Saver CPR – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.