Orderlies - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Orderlies
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
We are looking for a Per Diem OR Assistant to join our Surgical Services team here at Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield, MA!
Resume Required with Application
- Per Diem
- Monday-Friday Availability
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually.
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service.
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
The OR Assistant, under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs a variety of routine direct and indirect patient care activities within the established department policies and procedures.
1) Patient transport. Assist in transfer/positioning of patients within Surgical Services. Transport/deliver specimens and cultures to the appropriate department at scheduled times.
2) Assist in surgical skin preparation of patients and holding extremities. Assist in Surgical Admissions and PACU as necessary under the direction of the CNL.
3) Clean, disinfect, and set up operating rooms with proper equipment. Restock surgical and anesthesia supplies per established par levels. Restock warming cabinets with appropriate supplies and scrub apparel in supply cabinets. Return OR room equipment to proper storage when rooms are broken down and cleaned. Transfer soiled case cart from OR and send to Decontamination in SPD. Terminally clean all operating rooms each day according to department guidelines. Clean all Surgical Services areas per determined schedule. Cross train to Sterile Processing Department (SPD).
4) Deliver/obtain supplies to appropriate department. Maintains appropriate PAR levels of designated supplies. Assists in maintaining established supply PAR levels 100% of the time as defined by the needs of the unit and the O.R. ordering schedule. On a daily basis, communicates need for necessary O.R. supplies, i.e., mops, linen bags. Cleans and restocks O.R./Anesthesia supplies as necessary. Independently checks case carts for appropriate supplies utilizing preference card and obtains needed equipment.
5) Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Informs CNL of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, asepsis, infection control during shift. Completes daily inspection and cleaning of equipment in assigned area. Removes faulty equipment from area, labels it appropriately and reports to CNL. Reports to O.R. prior to completion of procedure in timely manner. Prepares O.R. for surgery according to procedure. Clean and terminally clean all ORs and Surgical Services areas each day according to department guidelines/schedule. Transfer soiled cart from OR and send to Decontamination in SPD. Follows policies/procedures relative to Body Substance Precautions. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment at all times.
6) Participates in staff development and education activities. Completes all mandatory in-service/ updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Shows initiative when learning new procedures.
7) Provides appropriate patient care within defined limits. Remain in assigned area 90% of the time to assist transporting patient into room. Provide necessary and appropriate equipment to assigned operating rooms as requested by nursing staff. Be available for positioning of patient 100% of the time. Assist in surgical skin preparation of patients and holding extremities. Follows procedural protocols associated with set up, maintenance, cleaning and sterilization of equipment. Appropriately cleans and cares for specialty instrumentation as directed by team leader. Follow detailed instruction in order to set up and clean specialty equipment (i.e., blood warmer, tourniquet, video systems, microscopes, anesthesia machine). Deliver/obtain patient specimens/cultures and supplies as directed by CNL. Shows initiative to perform duties independently or with minimal direction.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) A background of 3-6 months in a hospital setting is preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Demonstrate competency in reading and mathematics as verified by an aptitude test
2) Must be capable of following instructions, possess good interpersonal skills and be able to perform a number of activities according to priority
3) Must successfully complete orientation program for OR Assistant position
4) Moderate physical effort is required
5) Good hand-to-eye coordination, mechanical ability, intact or corrected vision and hearing required
6) Demands continuous mental and visual attention
7) Able to think independently and work under stressful and emergency situations
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.