Orderlies - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Orderlies
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Thank you for applying with Baystate Health. Please note information about this job:
Please provide a resume with your application
Under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse, routinely performs a variety of direct and indirect patient care activities within the established policies and procedures of Perioperative and Heart & Vascular Services. The position requires interactions with all members of the health care team, patients, technicians, nurses, physicians, surgeons, and other suite/hospital staff. He/she assists with the turn over of the surgical suite rooms, inspection and cleaning of equipment, assisting the inventory specialist of stocking of supplies, patient transport, patient positioning and is authorized to pick up blood products from Transfusion Medicine Services as directed by the registered nurse and/or coordinator. The orderly has no supervisory duties. He/she reports directly to the Manager or another member of the Suite management team as designated by the Manager. This description covers the essential functions of the orderly position. The incumbent is expected to perform similar tasks and other duties assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Assists in maintaining throughput within the department by expediting turnovers and room set up in conjunction with the surgical team.
2) Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Informs Charge Nurse/Suite Coordinator of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, aseptic, infection control prior to completion of scheduled shift. Completes daily inspection and cleaning of equipment in assigned area in a timely manner. Prepares suite rooms for patients according to procedure. Removes faulty equipment from area, labels it appropriately and reports to Charge Nurse/Suite Coordinator. Follows policies/procedures relative to Body Substance Precautions. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment at all times. Maintains confidentiality when interacting with patients and their families.
3) Participates in staff development and education activities. Completes all mandatory in-service updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Shows initiative when learning new procedures.
4) Assists in maintaining established supply PAR levels 100% of the time as defined by the needs of the unit. On a daily basis, communicates need for necessary supplies. Independently checks and restocks blanket warmer throughout the day.
5) Provides appropriate patient care within defined limits. Provide necessary and appropriate equipment to suite rooms. Be available for assisting suite nurses as needed.
6) Answers phones as needed. Assists Registered Nurse in transports to PACU and/or other nursing units.
7) Assist with patient positioning in the operating room suites as needed.
8) Assist the H&V TAs on clipping and prepping patients pre-operatively.
High School Diploma or GED required; May consider relevant experience in lieu of this requirement.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) 3-6 months
Skills and Competencies:
1) He/she must be capable of following instructions, possess good interpersonal skills and prioritize various activities assigned
2) must successfully complete the orientation program
3) The position demands continuous attention to detailed instructions requiring good hand-eye coordination, mechanical ability, as well as intact or corrected vision and hearing
4) The OR assistant must think independently and be able to perform duties during stressful situations encountered in the surgical suite environment
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.