Orderlies - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Orderlies
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
The OR Assistant (ORA), under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse, routinely performs a variety of direct and indirect patient care activities within the established policies and procedures of Perioperative Services. The position requires interactions with all members of the health care team, patients, technicians, nurses, physicians, surgeons, and other suite/hospital staff. He/she assists with the turn over of the surgical suite rooms, inspection and cleaning of equipment, stocking of supplies, patient transport,patient positioning and is authorized to pick up blood products from Transfusion Medicine Services as directed by Charge nurse/RN Circulator. The ORA has no supervisory duties. He/she reports directly to the Nurse Manager or another member of the Perioperative management team as designated by the Nurse Manager. This description covers the essential functions of the ORA position. The incumbant is expected to perform similar tasks and other duties assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
- Provides age-appropriate care to patients. Demonstrated knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients.
- Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Informs Charge Nurse/ RN Circulator of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, aseptic conditions,and or infection control issues prior to completion of scheduled shift. Completes daily inspection and cleaning of equipment in assigned area in a timely manner. Prepares suite rooms for patients according to procedure. Removes faulty equipment from area, labels it appropriately and reports to Charge Nurse/RN Circulator and discusses alternatives for replacement equipment. Follows policies/procedures relative to Universal Precautions at all times. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment at all times. Maintains confidentiality when interacting with patients and their families.
- Participates in staff development and education activities.Completes all mandatory in-service updates and web based training on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Attends 50% of staff meetings for OR assistants. Shows initiative when learning new procedures. Completion of competencies assigned and any maintenance to clinical ladder program. Assists to develop competency training.
- Assists in maintaining established supply PAR levels 100% of the time as defined by the needs of the unit. On a daily basis, communicates need for necessary supplies. Recommends changes to Par levels as needed.Cleans and restores Suite/ OR Pods as necessary. Independently checks suplies during the day for appropriate par levels and obtains needed equipment/suplies. Independently checks and restocks blanket warmer through- out the day.
- Remain in assigned area 90% of the time to assist transporting patients. Provide necessary and appropriate equipment to OR suite rooms as requested. Be available for assisting team of nurses and techs as needed. Offer assistance outside of assignments.
- Answers phones and patient call lights as needed. Assists Registered Nurse in the pre-op area as needed with admission process. Assists Registered Nurse in the post op area as needed. Assists Registered Nurse in post op area by preparing patient for discharge from PACU area, discontinuing compression boots, removing monitor cables, emptying foly catheter bags, obtaining oxygen tank etc under the direction of the registered nurse.Transports patients to car for discharge via wheelchair or to in house bed via stretcher independently as needed.
- Provides appropriate patient care within defined limits. Assists with clipping of hair as assigned by RN and as directed, assists with holding limbs for prepping as needed. Positioning of patients for proper alignment for surgery; Supine to prone, lateral right and left. Provide equipment for positioning as needed, pillows, foam, gel supports.
- High School or GED
- Or relevant experience may be substituted
Skills and Competencies:
- He/she must be capable of following instructions, possess good interpersonal skills and prioritize various activities assigned
- Must successfully complete the orientation program for ORA
- The position demands continuous attention to detailed instructions requiring good hand-eye coordination, mechanical ability, as well as intact or corrected vision and hearing
- The ORA must think independently and be able to perform duties during stressful situations encountered in the surgical suite environment
What you need to know:
- Various shifts
- Various hours (full time/ part time/per diem)
- Daly OR, Chestnut OR, other
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.