Unit Clerical Support - Baystate Health
Category(s): Administrative Support, Unit Clerical Support
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Provides indirect care in the department setting. Meets communication needs of the department. Transcribes physician orders from records. Prepares and compiles records in the department.
1) Performs all aspects of job in an environment that optimizes patient/staff safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors. Interacts professionally with patient/family/staff and involves patient/family/staff
2) Treats patients, families, staff, and visitors with respects and dignity. Functions as liaison between administration, patients, peers, and other healthcare providers. Participates actively in problem solving within the department/between departments
3) Communicates with supervisor and peers. Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with other departments. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and functions under stressful situations.
4) Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivation; manages activity and time; does not waste time.
5) Approaches family and visitors in a kind and professional manner. Gives explanations and verbal reassurances consistently to family and visitors. Fosters communication between multiple disciplines on the behalf of the patient. Participates in informal conferences involving the care of patients. Answers the telephone and intercom in a timely and polite professional manner, directs calls appropriately, and takes messages. Communicates ideas for improvement to the unit manager/charge nurse.
6) Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families, when applicable. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
7) Organizes and manages activities to show consideration of the unit as a whole. Reflects knowledge and judgment in decisions and actions within the job description of the unit secretary.
8) Is aware of patient condition and whereabouts when patient is out of the unit. Transcribes orders within timely manner. Enters orders correctly into the computer/Demonstrates knowledge of computer system.
9) Maintains current copies of lab results and x-rays and makes them available to staff. Orders supplies within nurses station and stocks as required. Maintains accuracy of Kardex to ensure complete and accurate patient care.
10) Alerts nursing staff to abnormal lab test results. Maintains logbooks in the department. Assists other staff members as needed with transferring and transporting of patients. Accepts additional assignments willingly.
11) Works at maintaining good rapport and a cooperative working relationship with peers. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time
12) Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
13) Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the mission statement of the department and hospital. Completes annual education requirements. Maintains regulatory requirements
14) Maintains patient confidentiality at all times following HIPAA requirements. Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
15) Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled. Attends at least 4 staff meetings annually, reads all monthly staff meeting minutes
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
2) Additional languages preferred
3) Basic computer knowledge
4) Work processing
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
High School Diploma (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.