Radiology/Imaging - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Radiology/Imaging
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Under the supervision of the Radiologist and according to established policies and procedures, operates MRI equipment as required, to obtain diagnostic images according to Radiologist specifications; will assist the Radiologist in protocols/procedures. Responsible for the care and treatment of all ranges of patients, which may use Imaging and Diagnostic Services.
The MRI Technologist performs diagnostic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies in accordance with hospital guidelines. Responsible for coordinating patient flow, operating all systems for routine, specialty and research studies, supporting protocol development, and performing all duties related to scanning and image processing. Consistently follows proper patient screening/care protocols and provides accurate documentation associated with each exam while supporting expedited patient throughput and diagnosis.
Conducts MRI imaging procedures on patients of all ages using state of the art imaging equipment. Through the use of independent judgment and initiative is able to perform MRI imaging sequences necessary to reach a medical diagnosis and decision. Is able to correctly bill all procedures performed and maintain necessary paperwork. Properly screens MRI patients and all persons entering the MRI suite. May be responsible for specific areas of instruction in the training of new staff or others in MRI procedures, protocols, equipment and/or safety issues. Performs related duties as requested. Treats patients, staff, physicians and the general public in a friendly, courteous and helpful manner. Incorporates the concepts of the Mission and Vision into practice.
1) Properly identifies patient information using two patient identifiers and complies to National Patient Safety Goals standards, ARRT Code of Ethics Standards and embodies the Cultural Compass. Performs procedures as outlined in this job description, including but not limited to routine, specialized, emergency and urgent MRI procedures. The incumbent is also responsible for providing accurate, high quality exams.
2) Maintains knowledge of procedures/protocols and applies knowledge of cross sectional anatomy and is able to identify pathology, within scope of practice to obtain necessary diagnostic information. Responsible for independent and proficient operation of all assigned MRI equipment in the section, e.g. MR scanner, coils, positioning devices, MR physics and scanner parameter to provide the best image outcomes in a proficient and time sensitive manner.
3) Recognizes examination findings that may require immediate clinical response and notifies the radiologist, e.g. Critical Test Results and verifies timely transfer of images to the PACS system.
4) Responsible to manage and coordinate patient flows within the department which may include transporting patients in/out of the department.
5) Responsible for observing strict MRI safety standards using ACR zoning guidelines for MRI. E.g. ensuring the safety of patients, family members, staff and visitors and maintaining an environment that is free of hazards.
6) Must have the ability to use proper body mechanics which includes but are not limited to lifting patients, sliding patients on the back board, transferring patient to/from wheelchair, etc.
7) Responsible for accurately inputting data, demographics and information into computer information systems, e.g., RIS, Synapse, Radnet.
Required Work Experience:
1) Satisfactory completion of a formal radiologic technology program in an AMA approved school preferred. Must have the ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities
One year experience on a GE/Siemens 1.5T and 3T scanner.
2) Previous experience with MRI.
Skills and Competencies:
1) None listed.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associates of Science (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Imaging Modality Certification – Other, Radiography – American Registry of Radiologic Technologist
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.