Patient Care Technicians - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Patient Care Technicians
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Thank you for applying to Baystate. Please note:
Part time, 24 hours
Schedule: Days, 3X8 or 2X12 weekly
Alternating weekends and holidays
The Patient Mobility Technician (PMT) will be responsible for ambulation of patients in our Acute Care for Elders program allowing them to maintain strength and mobility. The PMT will play a critical role in improving patient outcomes and satisfaction with care. The PMT must enjoy working in a care team and show commitment to helping hospitalized elders and convey that dedication to patients, families and other staff.
The PMT will develop and maintain good human relations skills by consistently displaying a respectful, empathetic and caring attitude toward patients and families. The PMT will interact socially with patients and families and be skilled in "connecting" in a respectful and supportive way in order to motivate patients to meet individualized amublation goals. Must be sensitive to differences in culture that impact patient willingness to keep mobile and report any barriers to care team. The PMT will interact and collaborate with all members of the heath care team, RN, PCT, MD. etc. in a professional manner.
The PMT must be organized, have the ablity to prioritze and be able to consistently record how far and how often each patient walks daily and note any barriers to safe ambulation. Must be alert for new problems and encourage patients to relate any worries or requests and be able to effectively communicate noted observations and requests to care team. The PMT must be a proactive member of the care team and accept changes in assignement when necessary to help with things such as, helping patients eat during meal times, answering call bells, shifting/transitoning a patient in bed etc.
1) Helps patients out of bed; assist them (as needed) in their walks with appropriate utilization of assistive devices keeping the patients safe while ambulating. Unless there is a medical reason they cannot walk, all patients will walk three or more times daily on the unit. If patient is unable to walk, will assist with other mobility goals such as transferring to chair, repositioning etc
2) Monitors and log frequency and distance each patient walks, adjusting walking scehdules in response to patients' requests and needs as well as their availability on the unit. Will also ensure patients walked by other care team members (RNs, PCTs) are logged in the same manner
3) Communicates to patients that they are a high priority even during busy times. Treats patient information as confidential. Displays sensitivity to patients through non-verbal communication.
4) Must be flexible and able to adjust walking schedule to ensure the maximum number of patients walk as much as possible every day. Must demonstrate understanding of the roles of other care team members to enhance collaboration in order to meet patient needs
5) Must be alert for new problems and encourage patients to relate any worries or requests and effectively communicate noted observations and requests to care team.
6) Utilizes body language such as eye contact, smiling and demonstrates interest in connecting with patients. Good communication skills in written and spoken English.
7) Improve patient experience by decreasing restlessness and maximizing strength and function. Improve value by shortening hospital stays and allowing more discharges home.
8) Improve Safety and quality by decreasing falls and delirium
9) Improve value by shortening hospital stays and allowing more discharges home
10) Participates in competency validations, educational activities and staff meetings Completes all mandatory in-services and web strategies 100% of time. Attends mandatory validations. Attends all additional programs as required. Continually seeks to improve skill level and knowledge base
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.