Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Incumbent is expected to be competent to work as a phlebotomist multiple in Patient Service Centers. Position requires incumbent to possess a competent level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy principles and procedures, exercising good judgmental skills and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary punctures from diverse patient types. Competent with assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patent types. Competent knowledge of routine lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as knowledge and skills related to specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities. Competent level of computer and typing skills in order to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions using multiple computer applications, following current registration and insurance protocols. Performs specimen tracking with transport to appropriate lab destinations. May assist with training of new employees and/or students. Incumbent must be detail oriented and possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills. Must posess high level of organizational skills and be able to multitask various work responsibilities independantly and in a team environment. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Follows all BMC safety and infection control procedures for any or all risk encountered while working on/off BMC property. Supports staffing to multiple Patient Service Centers and/or in-home specimen collections, including Assisted Living facilities. Requires traveling to various PSCs and/or home draws on a daily basis. Ability to learn and cooperate with operational differences at multiple sites. Must be flexible to adjust schedule and work assignments with short notice. Position requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a clean driving record. Responsible for accurate record keeping and tabulating mileage. Operates personal vehicle following all public safety motor vehicle laws and department of transportation regulations. May require driving during inclement weather.
1) Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen, selects correct patient and/or episode when performing registration/order entry functions. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy, with 100% accuracy.
2) Demonstrates competent knowledge and proficient level of technical and judgmental skills to perform venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Competent assessments of vein size, location and position for vascular access. Demonstrates a proficient level of knowledge and judgmental skills, including specialized delivery of age appropriate care to pediatrics and elderly patients who may demonstrate impaired memory. Handles and responds to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
3) Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Applies knowledgeable of specialized testing such as tolerance testing. Ability to calculate minimum or maximum blood volume to collect blood specimens from pediatric patients, according to current protocol, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed. Performs centrifugation, processing and routine and specialized specimen handling for accurate testing, utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed. Prepares send-out specimens in accordance to regulations. Prepares specimens for transport by courier or self, in accordance to BRL/DOT requirements and ensures delivery to appropriate departments in a timely manner. Transports specimens in a manner appropriate to maintain specimen integrity and meet DOT regulations.
4) Performs patient registrations thoroughly and accurately entering required information following current registration procedures and with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures appropriate diagnoses and signatures for ABNs and MSPs as required for billing. Ability to perform troubleshooting of registration and test ordering, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
5) Performs test ordering and other functions in lab computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry, to include selection of appropriate case. Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Performs standing order applications in appropriate computer system. Performs SMART specimen tracking, batching specimens and tracking from/to appropriate destination. May troubleshoot test ordering, tracking or other related functions, referring issues lead/supervisor as necessary. Performs tasks related to record keeping such as: QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, biohazardous waste disposal. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc. Assists with ordering and supply maintenance.
6) Participates in training of new employees and/or students from various internal and external programs. Completes accurate orientation/evaluations/training records and submits in a timely manner to appropriate lead/supervisor.
7) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills working independently and/or in a team environment. Uses good judgment and make sound decisions. Courteous and professional in all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and healthcare providers. Works closely with practice staff when assigned independently in a BRL site within physician practice.
8) Maintains a neat and professional appearance according to Baystate Health and/or departmental policy. Observes and promotes the Baystate Health organization Standards of Behavior. Maintains awareness and follows all corporate and Baystate Health and Pathology Compliance policies and procedures. Completes on-line compliance, safety training, educational and other required assignments within established deadlines as required. May participate in special projects and/or on committee.
9) Organizes and prioritizes work tasks in order to allow for smooth operations and maximize productivity. Assess and resolve challenges, referring issues for appropriate supervisory attention. Evaluates and addresses various difficult patient situations as needed: including combative, uncooperative, and unreasonable patients while maintaining professionalism. Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws, etc. which apply to specific work areas, incorporating changes or additions into daily routine.
10) Plans driving route to PSCs and/or patient homes/Assisted Living facilities, incorporating an efficient route to achieve maximum productivity and minimum mileage costs. Maintains accurate mileage records for reimbursement with submission within established timeframe.
Required Work Experience:
1) 12 months
2) If less than 12 months experience, will underfill position as PSC Phleb Tech I, until requirements have been met
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Competent level of knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired through experience
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Phlebotomy Technician – Other, Driver License – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.