Inpatient Direct Care Nurses - Baystate Health
Category(s): Nursing, Inpatient Direct Care Nurses
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Responsible for direction of patient care activities. Manages staff, provides management of operational and nursing activities. Consults with staff, physicians and the Nurse Executive on nursing problems and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met.
1) Responsible for direction of the Department staff. Supports and empowers staff to embrace the mission and value statements of the hospital. Ability to perform a assessment on all patients and reassessments as per policy. As appropriate this includes pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients and the general patient population.
2) Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
3) Ability to monitor hemodynamic status of patient and correctly interpret the results. Maintains current knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and his/her clinical condition.
4) Follows the five medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served. Able to interpret data about the patient's status in order to identify each patient's age specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
5) Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning; includes family teach, as appropriate.
6) Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psycho social, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and family. Functions as liaison between administration, patients, physicians and other healthcare providers.
7) Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/family in the formation of the plan of care. Demonstrates knowledge of patient monitors and reacts to changes appropriately.
8) Manages and operates equipment safety and correctly. Maintains department cleanliness and safety. Complies with ongoing department inspections of equipment and physical space. Makes recommendations regarding equipment utilization and needs. Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff and administrative team.
9) Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients' needs are met and hospital policy is followed. Maintains records pertinent to personnel and operation of the department. Prepares departmental reports i.e. utilization, performance improvement, service data, outcome data, productivity, including long term capital budget and short term operational budget.
10) Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations. Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
11) Consults other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities. Maintains performance improvement activities for department. Performs competency evaluations of all staff members.
12) Assures documentation meets current standards and policies. Provides education to staff on performance improvement. Ability to plan and organize orientation and in service training for department staff members; participates in guidance and educational programs.
13) Performs management activities including interviewing, hiring, evaluating, termination and departmental staffing and scheduling. Trains personnel, utilizing on-the-job training for nursing and other hospital staff, as well as departmental staff.
14) Studies current trends and developments in emergency nursing through current literature and professional society. Maintains standards of professional society procedures and ethical behavior.
15) Ensures that appearance and personal conduct are professional at all times. Excellent attendance record.
16) Wears appropriate clothing for job functions. Works at maintaining a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with physicians, health plans and staff.
17) Completes annual educational requirements. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner in the community.
18) Maintains patient confidentiality at all times. Maintains regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and JCAHO regulations related to the Emergency Department and, as appropriate, the hospital. Attends committee, CQI and management meetings as appropriate.
19) Ensures compliance with policies and procedures regarding department operations, fire safety and infection control. Maintains medical staff rules/requirements, as well as regulatory body standards.
20) Effectively and consistently communicates administrative directives to personnel and encourages interactive departmental meetings and discussions. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices. Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility as well as the focus statement of the department.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Nursing (Required)
Acute & Critical Care Nurse – American Nurses Credentialing Center, Advanced Cardiac Life Support – American Heart Association, Certified Registered Nurse – Other, Registered Nurse – State of Massachusetts
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.