Mental Health Counselor - Baystate Health
Category(s): Behavioral Health, Mental Health Counselor
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
**SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE***
We are looking for a Mental Health Counselor to join our Baystate Franklin team!
Up to $4,000 sign on bonuses! (Minimum 1yr Behavioral Health Experience) (External Candidates Only)
Resume required with application
- 32 hours, First Shift
- Greenfield, MA
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Under the direction of the Manager performs a wide range of functions related to the care and treatment of our patients in the Department. These functions include participating in the multidisciplinary team approach to patient care, providing a safe and therapeutic environment and documentation of such. In addition, provides basic ADL care to our patients, demonstrates knowledge of the developmental stages and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing activities. Incumbent is expected to adhere to System and department compliance policies, and any and all applicable laws and regulations. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Participates in Multidisciplinary Team approach to patient care. Is familiar with admission and progress notes of team members to develop a better understanding of patients. Collaborates with the team in evaluating patients, planning therapy and developing treatment goals. Reports observations of patients' status to the team and provides input in the preparation and updating of the treatment plans. Assists team members in providing care to patients and follows through with team decisions. Welcomes new staff and assists in orienting them to the department.
2) Provides a safe environment. Conducts daily sharps checks on patients upon arrival and when indicated by the Team. Intervenes appropriately during crisis situations by providing support, patient escorts and authorizes restraint and seclusion. Maintains safety by monitoring groups, time away and restraint and seclusion. Observes for potential safety hazards on the unit and reports hazards immediately to supervisors. Maintains safety by adhering to behavior management principles including Collaborative Problem Solving techniques.
3) Documents patient mental status, social behavior and progress towards identifying goals daily. Documents the ongoing assessment of patients by completing monitoring and rounds sheets. Documents restraints and seclusions in accordance with policies. Documents all necessary information in EMR as dictated by policy and procedure.
4) Provides a therapeutic milieu. Assesses patient mental status social and symptomatic behavior and progress towards identified goals daily. Counsels patients with empathy and respect to assist them to formulate treatment goals. Refers patients' physical problems to RN for assessment and intervention. Collaborates with Team to initiate and implement plan of care to meet ADL needs of patients who are unable to perform these tasks themselves. Identifies patient knowledge deficits and implements appropriate teaching in collaboration with the team. Assists in the development and implementations of special approaches and provides 1:1 intervention when indicated. Adheres to defined boundaries and guidelines regarding self disclosure with patients. Co-facilitates group therapy and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed. Develops plans and implements psycho educational groups and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed.
5) Demonstrates accountability for personal and professional growth.
Demonstrates support for the programs philosophy and adhering to policies, procedures and standards. Attends all mandatory in-services on an annual basis. Collaborates with supervisors to identify own professional goals and seeks experience to accomplish these goals. Assists with the identification of program in-service needs.
6) Demonstrates effective use of the behavior management principles and Collaborative Problem Solving techniques. Develops and implements special programming. Assists co-workers in daily activities and replaces them as needed.
Required Work Experience:
1) 2 years of related experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) 3-5 years of related experience
Skills and Competencies:
1) Excellent verbal and written communications skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Human Services (Required), Master of Science: Human Services
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.