Biomedical/Clinical Engineering - Baystate Health
Category(s): Information Technology/Health Information Management, Biomedical/Clinical Engineering
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Job Description – Leader
The role of leaders at Baystate Health is, first and foremost to, work “Together to Deliver a Higher State of Caring” for our diverse patients, community, and staff.
Baystate Leaders are expected to act as dynamic stewards of the organization and to engage people in meaningful work that calls on each person to contribute what they do best in order to ensure organizational success. It is especially important that our leaders act in a way that demonstrates compassion, inclusiveness, and raising the standard of excellence.
Baystate Health is committed to the development and growth of its leaders and expects that its leaders, in turn, are committed to their development and growth as well as that of all employees. Baystate Leaders continuously develop the competencies that better enable them to envision purpose, engage people and execute productively, thus allowing us to fulfill our mission and achieve our vision of transforming Healthcare.
Envisioning Strategy: Communicate a compelling vision of the organization’s future and effectively translate that into Divisional/Departmental and Individual goals.
Engaging People: Recruit, develop, and position people utilizing their strengths. Create and promote an inclusive environment in which people are actively engaged, included and inspired to do their best to improve individual and organizational effectiveness continuously.
Executing to Achieve Results: Implement complex plans to achieve results through others with creative and sustainable solutions.
The incumbent in this position is responsible for planning, organizing and managing tactical and strategic Clinical Engineering services to help clinical partners maintain and enhance their delivery of patient care services by facilitating the implementation, repair, scheduled maintenance, safety and function of medical devices and systems of devices throughout the organization. The incumbent will coordinate and manage the activities and performance of staff members within a team, or teams focused on the implementation and support of medical devices.
The incumbent is responsible for assisting Purchasing and Supply Chain in the areas of Strategic Technology Planning and procurement of clinical capital equipment. This position is responsible for assisting the Network Services and Information Security teams in the deployment of medical devices on the network for optimum function and security. The incumbent will assist leadership in identifying and executing cost reduction strategies across the Clinical Engineering contact and time and materials portfolios.
Adheres to all system and department compliance policies and all applicable laws and regulations. Performs other duties as assigned.
Assumes overall responsibility (directly or through delegation to other staff members) for personnel management of the department to include, but not limited to, recruiting, orienting, training, scheduling, mentoring, counseling, evaluating, promoting, and terminating employees. Make recommendations regarding staffing levels and staffing plans.
01) Manages the day-to-day operations of the department, ensuring the operational readiness of existing systems and services, effectively utilizing all resources, and handles all issues appropriately.
02) Analyzes and approves new work, estimating effort and cost, and delegating work assignments effectively.
03) Develops and manages the budget for areas of responsibility. Formulates recommends implements, monitors, and controls operational and capital budgets within administrative guidelines.
04) Assists Leadership and I&T Financial Specialist in the negotiation of contracts with external vendors for services and products and monitor delivery of contractual obligations.
05) Manages vendor relationships within areas of responsibility to include contract reconciliation, maintenance agreements, and contracts, managing enhancements and upgrades, issue escalation, and partnership agreements.
06) Negotiates service level agreements with clients and monitors service delivery to ensure agreed-upon targets are met or exceeded.
07) Prepares for, coordinates, and chairs the project/program advisory, decision-making, and oversight committees, including an emphasis on a multi-disciplinary approach.
08) Along with senior management, develop long and short-range plans for systems architecture (strategic planning). Stay current on technologies, industry trends, and regulations relating to an area of responsibility, communicate this information to the appropriate management teams and make recommendations related to areas of responsibility. Actively participate in client Management Team meetings to share strategic I&TCE recommendations. Exemplifies BHS Operating Principles and Service Standards and holds departmental staff accountable for conformity with the standards in all activities.
09) Project and Portfolio Management:
Provides intake mechanism for organizational ideas and leads the champion/sponsor through the initial stages of the project management methodology, to position the project for approval, and coordinate the handoff to the appropriate project manager. Applies appropriate project management methodology to ensure that project timeline, scope, budget, and quality objectives are achieved. Works closely with champions, sponsors, stakeholders, and IT staff to create a strategy, approach, sequencing, and the timeline for projects and programs, focusing on clinical/business process improvements. Helps to resolve barriers and conflicts (resource, timing, financial, sequencing) between multiple projects and project teams before they become barriers to successful project implementations.
10) Works with staff and CE leadership to maintain compliance of medical devices with regulations set forth by the Joint Commission, DPH, CAP, AABB, FDA, etc.
Unless otherwise required by certification, licensure, or registration, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the minimally required education and / or experience listed in the Qualifications section below.
MINIMALLY REQUIRED EDUCATION
Associate's Degree or equivalent military training
MINIMALLY REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
Minimum of 10 years experience with medical device service support, implementation of medical technologies, networking of medical devices, instruction of clinical personal in the safe and effective use of medical devices.
Three years of experience in maintaining compliance of medical devices with regulations set forth by the Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Department of Public Health, etc.
Minimum of three years of supervisory experience, including the management of personnel, budget, contracts, vendors, and day-to-day department operations.
Minimum of three years of project and portfolio management with an emphasis on experience with multi-disciplinary, complex projects, systems, and teams.
Understanding of current trends and standards based on Joint Commission, CMS, AAMI, etc.
Strong management and leadership skills
Strong interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to organize and efficiently manage their work and that of the CE team in a high-energy and fast-changing environment.
Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
Skilled in analyzing, interpreting and solving complex technical/business problems.
Able to translate business/clinical workflow problems into practical alternatives.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associates of Science: Computer and Information Science (Required), Bachelor of Arts: Business Administration/Management
Certified Biomedical Equipment Technician – Other, Certified Radiology Equipment Specialist – Other, Driver License – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.