Radiology/Imaging - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Radiology/Imaging
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Under the direction of the Radiologist and management, and according to established policy and procedures, coordinates the day to day operations of radiology, image quality, and productivity. Oversees and leads technologists as assigned. Operates radiology equipment including fluoroscopy, portables and other appropriate diagnostic imaging equipment. Obtains diagnostic images according to radiologist' specifications. Assists the radiologist in a wide range of imaging procedures.
Acts as radiologic technologist liaison between and within various departments. Works closely with the medical directors.
Monitors and evaluates imaging protocols, quality control and radiation safety, and oversees and mentors assigned technologists. Participates in imaging education and training opportunities, and new equipment orientation with all staff.
Assists in the evaluation and procurement for capital equipment and related items.
Co-leads committees as assigned with the departmental quality coordinator.
1) Demonstrates excellent customer service through positive patient experience; promotes positive inter/intradepartmental communications and relationships; maintains confidentiality.
2) Demonstrates a sound knowledge and proficiency in the use of required imaging equipment in area of specialty. Demonstrates proficiencies with CR, DR, PACs and applicable modality specific equipment.
3) Provides clinical expertise. Knowledgeable of interdepartmental functions, policies and procedures. Initiates corrective action for deficiencies observed.
4) Properly identifies patient information using two patient identifiers and complies with National Patient Safety Goals standards and ARRT Code of Ethics standards. Performs procedures as outlined including but not limited to routine, specialized, emergency and urgent imaging procedures. Responsible for providing accurate, high quality exams.
5) Maintains operational communication with Supv/Mgr; shares information and follows through with assigned tasks. Works as a member of the health care team including phsyicians, nurses and other health care professionals in diagnostic testing.
6) Analyzes equipment problems, seeking guidance as necessary to achieve resolution. Operates and maintains exam room and equipment: evaluates equipment problems and takes appropriate action to expedite necessary service or repair. Demonstrates knowledge/understanding in effectively operating all equipment. Performs quality checks on equipment in accordance with departmental procedures. Coordinates upgrades and/or preventative maintenance. Keeps work areas stocked with appropriate suplies. Keeps all imaging rooms neat and clean. Ensures supplies in work area are not damaged or outdated. Discards waste in appropriate waste containers according to established procedures.
7) Recognizes examination findings that may require immediate clinical response and notifices the radiologist (example: critical test results) and verifies timely transfer of images to the PACS system.
8) Organizes staff schedules for coordination of patient care. Prioritizes and assists in resolving schedule conflicts.
9) Assures ongoing compliance with JC, MQSA and ACR regulatory and DPH/CMS requirements. Participates in departmental quality assurance activities. Supports QC activities in the department.
10) Performs accurate and high quality exams to assure proper technique, positioning and visualization of the appropriate anatomy requested. Instructs patient before and during procedure to maximize probability of obtaining a complete and accurate result.
11) Maintains standards of skills: demonstrates/maintains current knowledge/skill in providing appropriate care for all patients potentially served in an imaging service, to include pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
12) Presents self to all patients and other customers in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner at all times.
13) Attends and participates in in-service meetings and other designated training events that will enhance clinical skills as documented by attendance at meetings/seminars.
14) Reports any suggestions for positive changes or recommendations within deparmtental policies/procedures to supervisor.
15) Accurately inputs data, demographics and information into appropriate modality specific computer applications and systems.
16) Coordinates staff competencies and participates in performance evaluations.
Assists in the training of techologists, residents and students when assigned to same work area according to departmental procedures, where applicable. Demonstrates a willingness to learn new procedures and accept new responsibilities.
17) Observes strict safety standards in area of specialty ensuring the safety of patients, family members, staff and visitors. Maintains an environment that is free of hazards.
18) Utilizes time in an effective manner by coordinating patients and procedures to achieve maximum productivity as observed by supervisor.
19) Assist the radiologist in a wide range of sterile procedures, as dictated by modality. (Where applicable demonstrates ability to start I.V.s independently and administer contrast media with power injector).
20) Radiation safety procedures and protocols: maintains radiation safety to patient, staff and self according to departmental procedures. Wears radiation monitoring device as appropriate and required.
Required Work Experience:
1) 5 years as a Radiologic Tech
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Outpatient or hospital
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to work with computer applications
2) Demonstrates good verbal and written communication
3) Able to work independently and be self-motivated
4) Basic ability to lead/direct others
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associates of Science: Radiologic Technology
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Radiography – American Registry of Radiologic Technologist
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.