Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Expert Level Position is expected to do the following job functions:
Possess expertise with full/short patient registration and test ordering on computer systems using laboratory requisitions. Proficient at reviewing laboratory requisitions for complete and accurate information. Coordinates centrifugation and processing of laboratory specimens and ensures delivery in a timely manner, as appropriate. Establishes and maintains good client relations by presenting a professional manner at all times, with all contacts. Possesses expertise to prioritize work while maintaining acceptable level of productivity. Prepares schedule, performs payroll activities, assists with performance reviews and does special projects as assigned. Assists with preparation of policies and procedures. Possesses excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to work effectively in a team environment. Displays leadership skills. Performs routine timekeeping duties. Participates in on-call rotation.
1) Accurately and with entirety, performs full/short registrations and orders specimens from laboratory requisitions following all current registration procedures. Thoroughly reviews orders and patient demographics for required information. Contacts appropriate physician/client if patient demographic information is unclear. Accurately enters demographics, physician, location and ICD9 codes/diagnosis. Has contact with bio hazardous materials.
2) Accurately enters orders into the laboratory systems to insure correct testing. Notifies appropriate parties if patient data and specimens do not match or orders are unclear. Uses ancillary ordering programs, as appropriate ex. rapid order entry. Organizes response of workgroup to computer downtimes. Ensures selection of correct patient and episode with 100% accuracy, as well as patient identification and labeling.
3) Demonstrates excellent productivity and prioritizing skills. Coordinates centrifugation and processing of laboratory specimens to ensure delivery to appropriate department at main lab following delivery schedule. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens to appropriate department in a timely manner. Acts as team resource and liaison to other departments, for specimen requirements etc. to insure accurate testing.
4) Answers telephone in a professional manner. Communicates effectively in person and on phone with all contacts, physicians, nursing units and patients when providing test results, specimen requirements, etc. as appropriate. Maintains a neat and professional appearance adhering to department uniform policy and maintaining good personal grooming.
5) Supervises day to day activities of workgroup. Schedules staff and assigns work, performs KRONOS payroll activities, assists in preparation of performance reviews, productivity reports, and does special projects when assigned. Has the expertise to troubleshoot and correct order entry and equipment problems. Participates in on-call rotation.
6) Communicates effectively with all staff, creates positive work environment by modeling ethical work standards. Encourages and supports client service orientation in group. Completes assigned reading/special projects/duties within established time. Completes educational assignments .
7) Willingly accepts changes in the work schedule as necessary to accommodate staffing needs. Ensures that opening and closing procedures as established in policy are followed. Maintains QA records and participates in QA program.
8) Participates in training of new employees and students. Maintains accurate orientation records and appropriate evaluations of trainees and submits them in a timely manner. Completes assigned reading/special projects/duties within established time. Completes educational assignments within deadlines.
9) Annually reviews the Corporate Compliance and the BHS Pathology Compliance Policies.
Required Work Experience:
1) Performs all functions of a lab assistant level II
2) Min 2 to 4 years experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Expert level of knowledge and skill related to computer applications, specimen requirements and handling
2) Ability to exercise independent judgment and make sound decisions
3) Excellent organizational and communication skills
4) Role model for operating principles
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.