Inpatient Direct Care Nurses - Baystate Health
Category(s): Nursing, Inpatient Direct Care Nurses
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
The Lactation Consultant is an engaged employee who performs assessments on inpatients and outpatients who are referred for individual breastfeeding consultations and/or teaching. The consultant possesses a broad knowledge of perinatal nursing practices, anatomy and physiology, and clinical breastfeeding issues. The incumbent is responsible for providing care specific to breastfeeding patients and acting as a consultant/resource to the multidiscipline team (nursing, physician, and social workers, etc.). The Lactation Consultant provides ongoing support to our community of new families beyond the birth of the baby.
1) Performs assessments on inpatients and outpatients who are referred for individual breastfeeding consultations and/or teaching Plans, implements and evaluates individual breastfeeding education based on patient assessment and medical plan of care. Teaches patient and significant others about breastfeeding self management. Documents all aspects of breastfeeding education.
2) Develops and maintains good human relation skills, which are consistent with the principles of the hospital, with patients and their significant others, medical staff, and other employees
3) Employee participates in self development and educational activities. Maintains skills and is aware of current information through journals and conferences, as evidenced through attendance records.
4) Provides education to multidiscipline team as requested and/or needed.
5) Provides ongoing support and education to new families beyond the birth of the baby, via phone support, breastfeeding support group, and community events
6) Consultant collaborates with Nursing Administration and Nursing Management in all aspects of the Lactation Consultant Program.
Required Work Experience:
1) 3-5 years working with mothers and infants
Preferred Work Experience:
1) 1-3 years as a Lactation Consultant
Skills and Competencies:
1) Strong assessment skills, able to develop, implement, and evaluate breastfeeding plan
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Diploma in Nursing (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant – International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, Registered Nurse – State of Massachusetts
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.