Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Entry level position is expected to do the following job functions:
Develops basic skill and knowledge of accessioning, batching, and transmitting orders to reference labs, using multiple computer applications. Develops ability to accurately place test orders electronically and by requisition, and package specimens following applicable laws and procedures. Reports all specimen and testing issues to supervisor.
Assists with clerical duties such as faxing, filing, typing, and scanning. Interaction with clients and BRL support staff requires incumbent to possess good interpersonal and communication skills, establishing and maintaining good client relations while presenting a professional manner at all times. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize work while maintaining acceptable level of productivity. Demonstrates good organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Willingness to provide Saturday and holiday coverage on a rotating basis.
1. Thoroughly reviews patient demographics/orders for required information and completeness, notifying supervisory of issues. Accurately enters required information to include: demographics, physician, location and ICD-9 codes or diagnosis. Develops the ability to troubleshoot basic order entry/database issues and take appropriate action, referring issues to supervisor as necessary.
2. Enters orders into the laboratory systems to insure correct testing. Notifies appropriate parties if patient data and specimens do not match or orders are not clear. Uses ancillary ordering as appropriate ex. Quest, LabCorp Beacon,. Demonstrates ability to troubleshoot order entry issues/equipment and take appropriate action.
3. Utilizes resources including Sunquest MIQ, Lead, and department contacts, to determine specimen requirements have been met to insure accurate testing.
4. Maintains a neat and professional appearance adhering to department uniform policy and maintaining good personal grooming. Answers telephone in a professional manner, directing calls to appropriate staff members as needed.
5. Willingly accepts changes in the work schedule as necessary to accommodate staffing needs. Provides weekend and holiday coverage on a rotating basis. Communicates effectively with other staff members.
6. Completes assigned reading/special projects/duties within established time. Maintains educational assignments when warranted. Continues to develop medical terminology at different levels.
7. Performs opening and closing procedures as established. May have some contact with biohazardous materials.
8. Performs clerical duties to include printing, photocopying, faxing, filing, and scanning.
9. Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws etc. which apply to specific work area and incorporates changes, additions, etc into daily routine.
10. Annually reviews the Corporate Compliance and the BHS Pathology Compliance Policies.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
Experience in a laboratory.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Knowledge of computers and typing skills required, excellent verbal communication and telephone skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.