Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Entry level position is expected to do the following job functions:
Performs full/short patient registration and test ordering using multiple computer systems using laboratory requisitions for both outpatient, reference lab interfaced testing and STAT specimens. Develops the skills for revising and correcting laboratory requisitions/orders. Establishes and maintains good client relations by presenting a professional manner at all times. Develops telephone skills to answer and direct calls. Ability to prioritize work while maintaining an acceptable level of productivity .Demonstrates skills to perform centrifugation and processing of laboratory specimens. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills to work effectively in a team environment. Demonstrates accuracy with strong attention to detail and maintains acceptable level of productivity
1) Performs all skills for registering, receiving, checking and tracking of all specimens entering Whitney Accessioning via couriers. Accurately performs short registrations from laboratory requisitions following all current registration procedures. Prioritizes specimens to be registered and ordered according to protocol defining urgency of testing. Delivers specimens to appropriate departments in a timely manner, handling and storing specimens for closed laboratories appropriately following procedures during off hours. Communicates extremely effectively with lab staff by announcing any type of priority or special handling scenario. Learns to utilize resources including Sunquest MIQ, Lead Lab Assistants and contacting departments to determine specimen handling requirements. Has contact with bio-hazardous materials.
2) Accurately and completely enters test orders or “receives” orders into the laboratory system. Develops knowledge of tracking and routine specimens to appropriate departments using the Sunquest tracking system. Uses Sunquest SMART to locate specimens, view instructions on decanting and storage procedures. Enters appropriate comments. Performs short registration on specimens following all current registration procedures using both Atlas and SMS. Accurately enters information during downtime procedure. Ac. Enters all necessary information on SRS forms for inpatients or Salesforce for specimen investigations. curately enters patient demographics, ordering physician, location and ICD9 code/diagnosis. Utilizes multiple computer systems to include SMS, Sunquest, Outlook, CIS, Atlas, SRS, Salesforce.
3) Enters all necessary information into Salesforce for some specimen investigations of unclear demographics or test orders and on follow-up forms. Uses resources available for assistance in following up with for clarification on outpatient specimens. With some assistance from Lead or Supervisor resolves and completes the specimen investigations, contacting Client Services for instructions or question, including using appropriate crediting comments. Brings to the attention of Lead/Supervisor resolutions for incorrectly routed specimens to the SMART Problem SPOT, to ensure specimen testing is performed or cancelled as appropriate.
4) Maintains accurate and complete documentation. Develops proficient knowledge of specimen integrity, specimen handling and specimen labeling requirements.
5) Accurately performs centrifugation and processing of laboratory specimens to ensure delivery to appropriate department at main lab following delivery schedule. Ensure delivery of STAT specimens to appropriate department in a timely manner. Utilizes resources including Sunquest MIQ, Lead Lab Assisants, Lab Assistants Level II and III and lab departments.
6) Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification if order/information is unclear or does not match. Accurately selects and orders tests under appropriate billing case.
7) Investigates and resolves basic specimen investigation and misdirected report issues. Documents BRL errors, contacts patients for recollection. Maintains accurate, thorough and complete documentation.
8)Ensures selection of correct patient and episode with 100% accuracy, as well as patient identification and labeling.
9) Learns and implements procedures for OnBase to scan requisitions from multiple areas. Ensures all Nice labels are properly attached to requisition and corrects or reprints label if needed. Prepares requisitions for scanning by separating in designated piles and removing paper clips. Loads pages face down and ensures batches arrive in the Awaiting indexing queue or manually indexes those that did not read properly. Performs QA to ensure all documents have been scanned and re-indexes if document did not scan into the workflow queue. Troubleshoots documents that failed the QA process, investigating and reporting to Revenue Services any discrepancies.
10).Willingly accepts changes in the work schedule as necessary to accommodate staffing needs. May assume charge responsibilities, as needed.
11)Utilizes resouces including Sunquest MIQ, Lead and department contacts to verify specimen requirements have been met to insure accurate testing. Performs opening and closing procedures as established in policy and maintain QA logs..
12)Maintains a neat and professional appearance adhering to department uniform policy and maintaining good personal grooming.
13)Completes assigned reading/special projects/duties within established time. Completes educational assignments within deadlines. Continues to develop knowledge of medical terminology.
14)Annually reviews the Corporate Compliance and the BHS Pathology Compliance Policies.
15)Follows all guidelines, procedures, policies, laws etc. which apply to specific work area and incorporates changes, additions, etc into daily routine.
High School or GED required
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Knowledge of computers and typing skills required, excellent verbal communication and telephone skills
Hours: 40 weekly
Shift: start time 5p-7p
Occasional weekend and holiday
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required), High School Diploma (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.