Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Entry level histotechnician position. minimally, enrollment in an accredited Histotechnology program with a High school diploma and appropriate science courses required. Incumbent is expected to perform a variety of diversified duties of a technical nature to produce technically acceptable microscopic sections of human tissues in order to ensure optimal patient diagnosis and treatment. Must possess interpersonal and organizational skills necessary to work productively in a team environment. Incumbent must adhere to system and departmental compliance policies and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Incumbent must commit to Baystate Health System's service standards.
1) Verifies appropriateness of and accurately labels and identifies specimens. Alerts appropriate superiors of all discrepancies.
2) Embedding and microtomy of all specimens under the supervision of a level 2 histotechnologist or higher. Produces results that meet established departmental standards for accuracy and precision with minimal problems.
3) Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Communicates with level 2 histotechnologist or higher regarding issues that may affect quality of results and patient care.
4) Learns to perform basic troubleshooting of instrumentation, referring issues to level 2 histotechnologist as needed.
5) Performs routine quality control. Keeps accurate and complete records consistent with all departmental requirements and those of regulatory agencies.
6) Must exhibit good judgment and decision making abilities to assist in troubleshooting daily problems, and to prioritize specimen workflow with regards to clinical importance. Communicates and documents any procedural concern. Understands when to forward specific concerns to level 2 histotechnologist or higher.
7) Must demonstrate the ability to work in a team environment with a commitment to assist as needed to ensure total quality care
8) Demonstrates excellent communication and teamwork skills. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with all co-workers, healthcare providers, and visitors.
9) Demonstrates excellent communication and teamwork skills. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with all co-workers, healthcare providers, and visitors.
10) Observes and promotes BHS organizational standards of behavior.
Required Work Experience:
1) Upon completion of a certification program or one year of experience with A
5) , incumbent is eligible to sit for HT/HTL ASCP certification examination
6) Prefer a candidate with some laboratory experience and knowledge of anatomy
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Problem solving, reasoning, organization skills, communication, ability to take direction and follow through on tasks, teamwork, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, computer skills
2) Production of quality slides from properly embedded human tissues
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Histology – Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.