Health Information Technician - Baystate Health
Category(s): Information Technology/Health Information Management, Health Information Technician
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
This position is responsible for assuring that the functions in Health Information Management are completed in a satisfactory manner. This includes assuring confidentiality of all patient health information, answering telephones performing computer retrieval of information, updating data in the computer systems, preparing reports, providing assistance to Medical Staff, patients, attorneys, state and federal department in the completion and submission of records, having public contact, Transmitting data to external parties, releasing of health information and other duties as necessary. All tasks need to be performed following the Operating Principles of Baystate Health.
1) Coordinates release of medical information to all requestors, including patients, physicians, healthcare providers and to insurance companies and lawyers. Process subpoenas and court orders. Verifies authorizations in accordance with hospital policy and procedures. Examines requests for HIPAA compliance and valid patient authorization. Reviews medical records for legally protected and sensitive information and obtains specific patient authorization when necessary.
2) Verifies authorization in accordance to state and federal laws. Maintains security and confidentiality regulations for access and review. Consults HIM coordinator about any unusual request. Logs in the correspondence tracking system. Abstracts and photocopies/prints required information to adequately fulfill requests for patient information. Notifies requestor when records are available. Schedules appointments for review of records by attorney, auditors, patients, employees, etc. Receives all calls to the correspondence office and follows up as appropriate. Prepares request for information to be copied meeting established guidelines. Performs performance improvement.
3) Identifies barriers to excellent service and seeks resolution..
4) Works with Patient Relations to resolve patient issues, and draft report to share with management.
5) Educates staff on customer service skills, provide mentoring.
6) Prepare and submit birth certificates to the state Vital Records Statistics Department.
7) Manages electronic documentation in multiple systems. This information needs to handled in an extremely confidential manner and released only to authorized users. .
8) Required to attend court proceedings when subpoenaed. Incumbent may be deposed and testify in court to those documents in the record area a true and accurate also can explain where the information is located within the medical record. Meets with Risk Management, physician and attorneys when needed.
9) Manages customer complaints. Handles complaints from customers by direct contact, researches the issue; contact various departments depending in the nature of the issue and resolve. Reviews issues with Risk Management if it involves a legal matter.
10) Performs computer analysis and data entry/updates in BH computer systems.
11) Works closely with sequestered records and notifies Risk Management as appropriate.
12) Works with patient care support services to correct and improve processes.
13) Prepares reports and monitors EMR workflow ensure that all documents meet designated turn a round times..
14) Manages difficult conversations effectively, adhering to the BH Service Standards and Operating Principles at all times..
15) Communicates with outside departments on issues that affect the EMR.
16) Seeks help from lead and supervisor as appropriate.
17) May lead project teams or oversee workflow related to a specific project or function.
Required Work Experience:
1) 3 years of experience in Medical Records(Health Information Management)
Preferred Work Experience:
1) At least 1 year in HIM at BH
Skills and Competencies:
1) Computer systems (Electronic Medical Record)
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.