Unit Clerical Support - Baystate Health
Category(s): Administrative Support, Unit Clerical Support
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
We are looking for a Health Unit Clerk to join our Mental Health Unit team!
Resume required with application
- 16 hours, Second Shift
- Greenfield, MA
- Secretarial experience with computer knowledge required with a minimum of one year medical secretary or unit clerk experience preferred
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Reports to the Unit Manager but daily activities are coordinated by the Unit Staff Nurse. Works with patient and family-focused care teams to ensure all business functions related to processing patient information, manages documentation, transcribes orders and organizes patient medical record and chart. Obtains patient test results and other information for records. Facilitates communication among staff, relaying messages/information. Acts as receptionist for visitors to unit. Orients patients and families to the unit, answering routine questions. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Functions as a reception for the unit and facilitates the collection/dissemination of information.
2) Enters orders into PCIS and/or transcribes written orders. Relays STAT orders to appropriate RN immediately. Accurately utilizes downtime forms and procedures.
3) Initiates, maintains and completes hospital records and logs. Maintains chart in proper sequence and stamps pages with patient's name on all records. Prepares medical record prior to patient transfer, copies medical records.
4) Prepares discharge record and assures five elements of the MD note are present: MD signature, condition on discharge, discharge instructions, disposition and diagnosis. Sends complete discharge record to medical records, by the end of shift. Assures information is entered into the appropriate discharge screens to ensure validity of log information.
5) Maintains accurate and timely communications within unit. Answers telephone consistently in courteous manner with proper identification.
6) Answers intercom and relays messages promptly and consistently to team members. Responds to routine inquiries knowledgeably and/or refers them to appropriate person.
7) Sorts, distributes and files department incoming mail and incoming computer generated information.
8) Inventories, maintains and charges supplies. Initiates requisitions as requested accurately and in a timely fashion. Stores supplies within 24 hours of receipt in designated areas. Records or submits charges and/or credits for patient supplies as needed.
9) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures. Mobilizes Code team when needed through immediate telephone contact as evidenced by observation and feedback.
10) Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with members of health care team. Assists team members with patient care activities. Provides feedback to coworkers to promote effective team relationships. Communicates an attitude of positive customer focused interactions at all times.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Secretarial experience with computer knowledge required with a minimum of one year medical secretary or unit clerk experience preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Knowledge of medical terminology must be documented by prior attendance in a medical terminology course or successful completion of medical terminology exam
2) Demonstrated ability to handle difficult and stressful situations
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.