Patient Care Technicians - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Patient Care Technicians
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Assists patients with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care and comfort to patients and assists in maintenance of a safe and clean environment under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse. Communicates to RN changes in patients clinical condition. Able to perform general duties with adequate supervision. Responsible for the safe, timely, and efficient movement of patients, supplies, and equipment.
1) Performs all aspects of job in an environment that optimizes patient/staff safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors. Interacts professionally with patient/family/staff and involves patient/family/staff.
2) Treats patients, families, staff, and visitors with respects and dignity. Functions as liaison between administration, patients, peers, and other healthcare providers. Participates actively in problem solving within the department/between departments.
3) Communicates with supervisor and peers. Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with other departments. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and functions under stressful situations.
4) Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivation; manages activity and time; does not waste time.
5) Fosters a positive customer service culture. Provides basic nursing care to patients within the Nursing Assistant's scope of practice that includes actions that meet psychosocial needs and physical needs.
6) Meets communication needs of patients. Performs other duties as assigned, within the Nursing Assistant's scope of practice. Assists in admission, transfer and discharge of patient. Performs basic patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient's age from pediatrics to geriatrics.
7) Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when patient complains of pain. Demonstrates ability to communicate to the RN any observed changes in patient status and responses. Maintains awareness of the needs of the pediatric, geriatric and general patient population.
8) Demonstrates ability to assist with feeding patients and maintaining fluid balance with technique appropriate for patient's age and physical condition. Provides explanation to patient and family prior to administering care to patient; answers questions within scope of practice.
9) Demonstrates ability to perform treatments and provide services within scope of practice. Communicates appropriately and clearly to supervisor/charge nurse/RN staff, co-workers and physicians. Consults other departments as appropriate to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient's needs.
10) Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors. Demonstrates an ability to assist physicians with procedures and performs services requiring technical and manual skills under the direction of an RN within the nursing assistance scope of practice.
11) Transports patients via gurney/wheelchair to ancillary departments. Maintains patient comfort, safety, and privacy while transporting. Retrieves medical records and supplies.
12) Takes specimens to the laboratory for processing. Cleans and prepares rooms between patients. Monitors and restocks supplies. Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient services. Maintains established department policies and procedures, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
13) Assists in cost containment through the appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment. Responds promptly to patient inquires and requests. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
14) Responds to patient in emergency or physically distressful situations. Meets current documentation standards and policies and completes within shift. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
15) Coordinates and supervises patient care under the direct supervision of an RN. Medical and surgical asepsis is carried out during treatments and special procedures. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
16) Works at maintaining good rapport and a cooperative working relationship with peers. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
17) Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices. Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the mission statement of the department and hospital.
18) Completes annual education requirements. Maintains regulatory requirements. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times following HIPAA requirements.
19) Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion. Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled. Attends at least 4 staff meetings annually, reads all monthly staff meeting minutes.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Minimum of 6 months of related work experience preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Cardiac Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.