Rehabilitation - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Rehabilitation
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
Responsible for providing patients referred to Cardiac and Pulmonary rehabilitation services in inpatient and outpatient settings with supervised exercise and progressive mobilization, education regarding disease and disease management (including understanding community resources upon discharge), lifestyle modification, and psycho-social support. Uses an understanding of the principles of growth and development to assess the patient’s age-specific needs and age-specific treatments and care.
1) Clinical Decision Making – Utilizes the professional code of ethics with patient and family to establish patient and family relationship(s). Performs initial assessment and collects medical history information to identify appropriate patient needs and goals. Establishes the plan of care with patient/family input and prioritizes the delivery of patient care. Documents revise and ensure follow through with the plan of care focusing on patient needs and goals, participation, and response to the plan of care. Assumes responsibility for continued learning to enhance clinical practice. Provides patient and/or family education based on individual needs and goals. Knowledge of appropriate exercise prescription skills for a diverse patient population with multiple conditions and/or complications. Knowledge of discharge plans for patients and families from inpatient and outpatient settings.
2) Therapeutic – Knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups: Neonate, Infant/toddler, Children, Adolescent, and Adult. Identifies patient and/or family concerns and seeks assistance for the patient and/or family needs. Aware of patient and family rights. Maintains an environment that is safe for the patient. Identifies the patient's physical, psychosocial, and emotional needs that interfere with and/or enhance the rehabilitative process. Assess cultural diversity and addresses these aspects of care. Acknowledges the need for various communication styles. Develops appropriate and comprehensive treatment plans specific to patient needs, including education, exercise, behavior change, and counseling.
3) Patient/Family Learning Needs and Education Process – Aware of the patient and/or family learning needs. Aware of barriers to teaching (such as cognitive ability, linguistic or sensory deficits). Uses appropriate internal/external educational resources. Initiates transition planning for patients from inpatient to the outpatient setting and seeks assistance as needed. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients. Demonstrates the ability to present educational information to patients and/or families in inpatient and outpatient settings.
4) Health Care Team Relationships – Seeks assistance and is willing to be taught and/or coached. Utilizes professional communication to establish and maintain effective relationships. Participates in team meetings and/or discussions regarding patient care and/or practice issues. Knowledge of multidisciplinary approach to patient's plan of care.
5) Resource Utilization – Identifies specific resources within the health care system to facilitate the care of patients and/or family.
6) Program Development – Supports the Cardiac Rehabilitation Team in implementing new programs. Participates in staff meetings or individual program meetings—Complies with departmental programs and productivity requirements.
7) Participation in the identification of departmental goals. Provides ideas/topics for programs, classes, research, etc. Participates in data collection for outcome measures for specific programs. Adhere to system and department compliance policies and applicable laws and regulations.
8) Program Development – Performs initial, follow-up, and end-of-program evaluations. Performs periodic care plans to update the participant's exercise, education, and/or treatment plans. Develops exercise prescriptions for a diverse population. Develops individual and group educational plan for participants, including lecture, guest speakers, and/or educational materials. Collaborates and communicates with the staff and multidisciplinary team regarding program updates, participant progress, and care plan. Responsible for data collection and database management. Evaluates and organize program outcomes in a formal presentation. Explores marketing opportunities within as well as outside BMC to promote the program
9) Independent in all day-to-day activities of all cardiac and pulmonary rehab
10) Demonstrated ownership with department improvement projects/programs of cardiac or pulmonary rehab or other healthcare settings
11) Responsible for program outcome
12) Assist, monitor, and adjust administrative duties as needed in the department, including but not limited to scheduling and prior authorizations
Required Work Experience:
2-5 years clinical setting outpatient and/or inpatient
ACLS is required within 6 months of hire.
Preferred Work Experience:
Skills and Competencies:
Cardiac Specific: ECG Interpretation, Arrhythmia Recognition, Exercise Test
Rehab Specific: Oxygen Saturation Monitoring, O2 Evaluation, Walk Test
Able to work independently/autonomously and handle high volume and multiple task assignments in an organized fashion. Exceptional customer service skills. Effective communication. Displays enthusiasm and confidence with an ability to motivate self and others.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Exercise Science (Required), Master of Science: Exercise Science
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Corrective Exercise Specialist – National Academy of Sports Medicine, Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist – American College of Sports Medicine
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.