Environmental Services - Baystate Health
Category(s): Trades/Engineering/Facilities, Environmental Services
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Under the direction of the Environmetal Services Operations Manager or ES Operations Supervisor performs a wide diversity of tasks pertaining to direction and assisting of Environmental, Linen & Patient Transport Services personnel in activities involving maintaining Medical Center areas in a clean, sanitary and aesthetic condition. Assists and coordinates personnel activities including scheduling, training, inspections and orientation. Make recommendations on employee transfers, promotions and disciplinary actions in unison with supervisor/manager.
1) Committed to consistently following and modeling BH values: Integrity, Respect, Trust, Collaboration and Communication. Is a role model for the service accountabilities of positive attitude, consistency, good communicator, lead by example, reliability, flexibility, customer oriented, decision maker, team player, safety advocator, innovative thinking. Adhere to system and department compliance policies Has a high level of productivity, total quality and an on-going commitment to exceed customer expectations. Adhere to system and department compliance policies and any applicable laws and regulations.
2) Perform all aspects of Environmental, Linen and Patient Transport when needed. Monitor and inspect equipment, assuring that it is clean and secure. Assist in other appropriate duties as directed. Assist manager in development and implementation of departmental goals and objectives. Initiate work orders for repairs and follow up according to standard procedure. Notify manager of furniture and equipment beyond repair and recommend disposal according to standard procedure. Exchange various pieces of furniture in patient units as required. Utilize proper equipment handling devices and body mechanic techniques to move furniture. Ensure other Environmental Services personnel utilize proper equipment and body mechanics. Assist with employee workload. Routinely check for the number of discharges and transports and other factors affecting employee workflow. Discuss particular needs and problems with manager/supervisor. Follow up on repair and maintenance needs.
3) Proactively identify and resolve minor problems and issues involving personnel and physical environment. Use appropriate judgment in referring more serious problems to manager/supervisor.
4) Detect and report faulty operation of equipment, defective supplies and questionable matters to manager/supervisor. Maintain equipment, storage and work areas in a clean, sanitary and orderly manner. Perform prescribed security and related procedures in locking offices and other areas. Participate in fire and disaster programs as directed. Observe all health and safety requirements. Perform other similar and related duties as required or directed.
5) Interact with customers and staff in a polite and professional manner, which projects a positive image for the Department and Hospital.
6) Assist with coordination of sick time, vacation time and various schedule changes with manager/supervisor.
7) Possess an understanding of safety management, hazardous materials management, emergency preparedness management and environmental management. Evaluate equipment for operational safety and usefulness. Review and revise operational policies and procedures with manager/supervisor at Quality Improvement Committee meetings. Possess an understanding of causes and methods of transmitting infection (e.g., contact, airborne, common vehicle, vector-borne). Assist in comprehensive training and education program, covering such aspects as safety, infection control and hazardous materials.
Required Work Experience:
1) 3 years experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must possess strong problem solving skills
2) Strong verbal and written communication skills
3) Flexibility to change in a fast paced environment
4) Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time
5) Demonstrated leadership skills
6) Ability to prioritize workload
7) Ability to work with minimal supervision
8) Ability to delegate responsibility
9) Must speak, read, write and understand English
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.