Patient Care Technicians - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Patient Care Technicians
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
***SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE***
We are looking for an Emergency Department Technician (ED Tech) to join our Emergency Department team at Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield, MA!
$3,000 Sign-On Bonus! (Only external applicants qualify for sign-on bonus) (Must have a minimum of one-year direct patient care experience OR be certified as a CNA or EMT to qualify)
Resume Required with Application
- 24 hours per week
- Third shift (11P-730A)
- Every other weekend and every other holiday (additional pay when scheduled on weekend and holiday)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center is an 89-bed community hospital in Greenfield, MA. Rooted in a rich tradition of service and accountability to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities, BFMC services include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, and more.
- More than 200 physicians on active and courtesy staff
- More than 24,000 Emergency Department visits annually.
- More than 400 babies delivered each year in The Birthplace – a progressive, midwife-driven service.
- Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
- Franklin Medical Center joined Baystate Health in 1986
Rooted in a rich tradition of 125 years of service and accountability, our highly skilled team is committed to advancing care with our state-of-the art facilities and technology. Baystate Franklin houses a $26 million surgical center and the talented surgical teams of the Baystate Health network. Our spacious pre-surgery, recovery, and family waiting areas offer privacy and comfort with natural light, healing gardens, and other amenities. Our multidisciplinary approach gives you access to specialists from across the Baystate Health system, offering comprehensive and collaborative medical treatments close to home.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Cole Courtemanche, Healthcare Recruiter
Daily activities are coordinated by the RN. Performs a variety of technical tasks and bedside functions. Responsibilities include direct patient care, hygiene, skin care, mobility, transfers and monitoring. Multiskilled to needs of unit in performing duties relative to all phlebotomy, technical skills, assisting in procedures and EKGs. Expected to manage equipment in conjunction with unit leadership and perform or assist in all procedures on unit as an integral team member. Responsible for knowledge of set up and assists in laceration repair, simple procedures and patient prep for exams. Maintains room stocking in the department. Responsible for maintaining the lab area and all associated competencies for POC testing, phlebotomy and upholding regulatory requirements to maintain POC testing ability. Possesses knowledge in upholding department goals of patient care by maximizing throughput and expediting care in this emergency department setting.
This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Provides age-appropriate care to patients.
Demonstrates the knowledge of developmental stages for a variety of age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when implementing care for patients across the lifespan.
2) Monitors basic physiological parameters.
Takes and records routine vital signs within the specified timeframe as indicated by periodic review of documentation. Obtains and documents weights/heights, abdominal girths, head circumference (Pediatric Service) as per physician/nurse order 100% of the time as indicated by monthly review of patient records. Consistently reports any significant deviations in vital signs as outlined in the procedure immediately. Records and reports, 100% of the time, any change in patient's normal drainage pattern, i.e. Gastric, wound, urine, blood. Documents findings in the patients EMR.
3) Administers treatments and procedures in accordance with BMC policy/procedures.
Changes dressings within one hour of specified timeframe in accordance with established procedure. Provides postmortem care as directed by RN according to BMC policy. Performs all procedures outlined in nursing procedure manual within area of responsibility in accordance with specifications. Assists physicians with exams and simple procedures. Assures identity of patient by checking identification bracelet and identification band prior to performing any procedure consistently utilizing PPID lab collection manager system. Follows established process and protocols for phlebotomy.
4) Assists patients with elimination of body wastes.
Makes available or offers bedpan, urinal and emesis basin immediately after patient request as indicated by absence of patient complaints. Accurately labels and sends specimens of urine, feces, wound cultures and sputum with 30 minutes of specified time frame unless discussed with RN as evidenced by random review of reports. Accurately measures and records intake and output in accordance with established policy as indicated by random review of intake and output forms and documents in the patients EMR.
5) Performs POC testing to include department specified testing, ISAT, Urisys, Glucose testing, Pregnancy testing and all QA associated with the POC testing function. Performs proficiency tests and participates in unit inspections to maintain laboratory regulatory status.
6) Assists with treatment by following specified orders as delegated by the RN or provider treatment plans. Monitors patient's condition during treatment and notifies appropriate personnel of unexpected occurrences. Provides information to RN based upon observation made during patient related care. Provides treatment within the specified time frame. Documents treatments and activities consistently.
7) Communicates effectively with team and patients.
Interacts with patients in a respectful and informative manner. Clearly communicates information related to patient care to the team. Recognizes culturally based patient and family needs. Keeps the patient's experience a priority.
8) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures.
Responds effectively in emergency situations as observed by team members. Maintains Patient safety at all times. Communicates effectively with appropriate personnel.
9) Functions as a member of the team
Assists team members with clinical activities. Provides feedback related to the team process. Assists team members with non-clinical activities.
10) Maintains knowledge on current throughput and patient progress initiatives to maximize patient flow in the Emergency department. Actively engages in patient flow initiatives.
11) Compliance with duties and responsibilities will be monitored for adherence to requirements.
12) Provide for patient safety at all times by maintaining a patient room free of clutter and waste, implementing appropriate safety practices and protocols as per nursing intervention and direction.
Required Work Experience:
1) Direct patient care experience 1-3 years
Preferred Work Experience:
1) EMT, ED/Urgent care experience or relative experience through the military medical units (Medic/Coreman training)
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficient in reading and writing in English
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association, Certified Medical Assistant – Other, Certified Phlebotomy Technician – Other, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) – Basic – National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.