Mental Health Counselor - Baystate Health
Category(s): Behavioral Health, Mental Health Counselor
Full Time / Part Time: Per Diem
SIGN ON BONUS ELIGIBLE!
We are looking for a Mental Health Counselor to join our Emergency Department!
Resume required with application
Per diem position; weekend and holiday rotations
Associates in Psychology (Bachelors preferred). May accept qualified experience in lieu of degree.
2 years of related experience
1) Physical/Psych Mgmt Training (within 60 days of hire)
2) Certified Crisis Prevention (within 60 days of hire)
3) CPR American Heart Association BLS required prior to first day
Baystate Medical Center is a 716-bed independent academic medical center and a teaching site of the UMass Chan Medical School-Baystate. Includes Baystate Children’s Hospital, the Wesson Women and Infants’ Unit, the region’s only Level 1 Trauma Center, and more.
As the community’s major referral hospital, we provide a wide range of services now for more than 140 years to include emergency, surgery, cancer, heart and vascular, obstetrics, behavioral health, therapy and more.
More than 700 physicians on active and courtesy staff across our health system
More than 197,000 Emergency Department and Urgent Care visits annually at Baystate Health
More than 4,000 babies delivered each year across Baystate Health hospitals
Training site for the Family Medicine residency, and for residents in emergency medicine, surgery, and obstetrics programs based at Baystate Medical Center
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Melanie Bischoff, Healthcare Recruiter
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager performs a wide range of functions related to the care and treatment of our patients in the Emergency Department. These functions include participating in the multidisciplinary team approach to patient care, providing a safe and therapeutic environment and documentation of such. In addition, provides basic ADL care to our patients, demonstrates knowledge of the developmental stages and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing activities. Incumbent is expected to adhere to System and department compliance policies, and any and all applicable laws and regulations. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Participates in Multidisciplinary Team approach to patient care. Is familiar with admission and progress notes of team members to develop a better understanding of patients. Collaborates with the team in evaluating patients, planning therapy and developing treatment goals. Reports observations of patients' status to the team and provides input in the preparation and updating of the treatment plans. Assists team members in providing care to patients and follows through with team decisions. Welcomes new staff and assists in orienting them to the department.
2) Provides a safe environment. Conducts daily sharps checks on patients upon arrival and when indicated by the Team. Intervenes appropriately during crisis situations by providing support, patient escorts and authorizes restraint and seclusion. Maintains safety by monitoring groups, time away and restraint and seclusion. Observes for potential safety hazards on the unit and reports hazards immediately to supervisors. Maintains safety by adhering to behavior management principles including Collaborative Problem Solving techniques.
3) Documents patient mental status, social behavior and progress towards identifying goals daily. Documents the ongoing assessment of patients by completing monitoring and rounds sheets. Documents restraints and seclusions in accordance with policies. Documents all necessary information in EMR as dictated by policy and procedure.
4) Provides a therapeutic milieu. Assesses patient mental status social and symptomatic behavior and progress towards identified goals daily. Counsels patients with empathy and respect to assist them to formulate treatment goals. Refers patients' physical problems to RN for assessment and intervention. Collaborates with Team to initiate and implement plan of care to meet ADL needs of patients who are unable to perform these tasks themselves. Identifies patient knowledge deficits and implements appropriate teaching in collaboration with the team. Assists in the development and implementations of special approaches and provides 1:1 intervention when indicated. Adheres to defined boundaries and guidelines regarding self disclosure with patients. Co-facilitates group therapy and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed. Develops plans and implements psycho educational groups and demonstrates a willingness to fill in as needed.
5) Demonstrates accountability for personal and professional growth.
Demonstrates support for the programs philosophy and adhering to policies, procedures and standards. Attends all mandatory in-services on an annual basis. Collaborates with supervisors to identify own professional goals and seeks experience to accomplish these goals. Assists with the identification of program in-service needs.
6) Demonstrates effective use of the behavior management principles and Collaborative Problem Solving techniques. Develops and implements special programming. Assists co-workers in daily activities and replaces them as needed.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science, High School Diploma (Required)
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – Other, Certified Crisis Prevention – Crisis Prevention Institute
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.