Orderlies - Baystate Health
Category(s): Clinical Support, Orderlies
Full Time / Part Time: Part-Time
Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, assist nursing staff and physicians with direct patient care and treatments, transports patients to tests and procedures, behavioral health interventions and contributes to the overall orderliness and cleanliness of the unit. Must have demonstrated competency in simple mathematics, reading, writing, following instructions and checking of patient records and forms.
1) Provides age-appropriate care to patients. Demonstrated knowledge of developmental stages for the various age groups and applies developmental theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients in trauma, pediatric, general emergency and behavioral health PODs.
2) Observes patient conditions (physical and mental) and reports pertinent information to RN, MD or Psychiatric Clinical professional.
3) Assists with direct patient care activities as directed by the RN. Including personal care of patient (i.e. bathing, shaving). Transfer or assists with transfer of patients in accordance with lifting and positioning of patients, adheres to infection control techniques. Assists in ensuring safety measures are in place for patient (re: falls, lifting, restraints, call lights, side rails and bed position).
4) Assist RN with taking vital signs – Blood Pressure, temperature, respiration.
5) Administers procedures in accordance with Baystate Health Policy. Performs postmortem care in accordance with divisional procedures, and transports deceased within one to two hours of expiration. Obtains bed and standing scale weights on assigned patients in accordance with divisional procedure, obtains and accurately sets up traction, trapezes, and water matresses within 30-60 minutes of specified timeframe. Safely Transfers patients with transfer device and lift.
6) Maintains safe operation of designated equipment and assists to ensure orderliness of nursing unit. Reports faulty/missing equipment upon discovery, ensures bed scales, Argo lifts and morgue stretchers are clean and functional, removes and tags faulty equipment within 10-15 minutes, cleans and organizes patient care areas as assigned, disposes of laundry as directed.
7) Adhere to proper de-escalation techniques with patients, follow all restraint guidelines and engage security, call proper and additional staff when needed in emerging escalating situations.
8) If assigned to behavioral health pod will perform following duties: Wanding patients for weapons, obtaining proper signatures, complete Continuous Observation Flow sheets and CMS Flow sheets, look for alternatives prior to restrains and follow all escape precautions.
9) Complete clear and accurate documentation when charting in all systems including IFS.
10) Completes all reports and forms in a clear and accurate manner including Seclusion/Restraint flow sheets and order sheets and Psych Advocate report if assigned to Behavioral Health Pod.
11) Participates and attends all required training, in-services, staff meetings and open forums as requested, review staff meeting minutes. Keep abreast of policy changes, read e-mails regularly, arrive to work on time ready to start work at beginning of shift.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Experience in Patient care setting
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must successfully complete orderly orientation program during 90-day orientation period
2) Strong Communication Skills
3) Strong teamwork skills
4) Knowledge of and ability to assist with emergency procedures
5) Critical thinking skills and judgment – identify patient/family members needs, assess the potential impact on patient/customer when making decisions, develop alternatives when the best course of action if not available
6) High level of service standards including use of empathy, listening skill and problem solving
7) Example: Introducing yourself and your role to the patients, identify needs of the patients/customers, project a positive manner, be able to deal successfully with challenging day to day interactions with families, visitors, patient and other team members
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support – American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.