Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
Performs all major duties of level I cytotechnologist and is proficient in GYN morphology including all appropriate LBC preparations and automated screening technologies, proficient in Non-GYN morphology–appropriately dotting and rendering preliminary diagnoses using clinical history and cytomorphology, accurately and timely reporting to pathologist using appropriate terminology. Participates in FNA rotations and performs all rapid prep techniques and FNA procedures. Assists in procedure making and validation of newly implemented testing/technology when needed. Assists with inspections as needed. Has QA/QC ability. Has charge ability. Volunteers for departmental projects/papers/presentations and/or educational meetings or in-services. The level II cytotechnologist performs all duties with minimal supervision. This cytotechnologist maintains workload limits with accuracy, complies with all regulations, and obtains continuing education as required by CAP/CMP regulations. Performs other similar and related duties as required and observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior.
1) Mastery of Level l Cytotechnologist duties.
2) Proficient in GYN and Non-GYN cytomorphology: identifies abnormal cytology, appropriately dots, renders preliminary diagnosis and forwards cases to the pathologist for final diagnosis.
3) Participates in FNA rotation.
4) Working knowledge of rapid preparatory techniques, fine needle aspiration techniques and procedures.
5) QA/QC ability and charge ability.
6) Volunteers for departmental projects/presentations/papers and/or educational meetings and in-services.
7) Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
8) Maintains corporate compliance by observing and enforcing the related policies and procedures.
9) Observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior.
Required Work Experience:
1) Non-GYN cytology experience required
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to prepare and accurately evaluate cytologic material; demonstrates excellent organizational and communication skills; applies critical thinking and troubleshooting skills; applicable computer knowledge/data entry/record keeping; electronic sign-out, reporting, filing with accuracy; complies with all regulations; basic equipment maintenance; ability to follow written direction/protocols; demonstrates accurate attention to detail; ability work effectively in a high stress/high volume environment
2) All competencies of level l cytotechnologist and proficiency in appropriate GYN LBC and applicable computer assisted imaging systems
3) Proficient Non-Gyn screening and interpretation skills including appropriate selection and dotting of the most representative abnormal cells of the disease process, developing a differential diagnosis using patient history, clinical data, previous patient material etc
4) Accurate and timely reporting to pathologist using designated reporting terminology
5) Ability to interpret technical quality of cytologic preparation and perform QC slide review
6) Effectively completes all departmental requirements while accurately maintaining workload
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science (Required)
Cytotechnologist – American Society for Clinical Pathology
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.