Laboratory - Baystate Health
Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
The level l or II cytotechnologist is a Board of Registry/Board of Certification certified cytotechnologist who successfully completes all departmental training, including certification in liquid based cytology and automated screening systems. This cytotechnologist performs routine morphologic screening with accuracy, identifying and appropriately dotting abnormal cytology, submitting appropriate cases to pathologist for review, accurately rendering and reporting negative diagnoses within an appropriate turn around time. Has working knowledge of: basic cyto-preparatory techniques, basic equipment (microscope) maintenance, basic computer applications, data entry and record keeping. The level l or II staff cytotechnologist electronically signs-out reports, including written requisition requirements, typing of reports and electronic sign out, appropriately identifies and directs signed-out cases for retention, maintains workload limits with accuracy, complies with all regulations and obtains continuing education (as required by compliance regulations). Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed and observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior.
1) Identifies abnormal cytology, appropriately dotting and submitting to pathologist for review and accurately renders negative diagnoses.
2) Obtains certification in appropriate liquid based cytology and image based screening technology.
3) Accurate reporting, s/o of specimens including: written requisition requirements, typing of report, checking for accuracy and electronically signing out as appropriate.
4) Knowledge of basic preparatory techniques including: specimen prep, staining and coverslipping.
5) Identifies and directs signed-out cases for retention..
6) Maintains workload limits with accuracy.
7) Obtains CEU's as required by CAP/CMP regulations via conferences, self-assessments, reading, tutorials etc.
8) Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
9) Maintains corporate compliance by observing and enforcing the related policies and procedures.
10) Observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior.
Required Work Experience:
1) Not required
Preferred Work Experience:
1) At least 3 years of experience as an ASCP board certified Cytotechnologist
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to accurately evaluate cytologic material; demonstrates excellent organizational and communication skills; applies critical thinking; applicable computer knowledge/data entry/record keeping; electronic sign-out, reporting, filing with accuracy; basic equipment maintenance; ability to follow written direction/departmental protocols; demonstrates accurate attention to detail; ability work effectively in a high volume environment
2) Basic working knowledge of principles and techniques of cytology diagnostics, preparation and instrumentation; consistently demonstrates appropriate and accurate diagnostic skills, careful attention to detail, good organizational skills, significant computer skills, good communication skills, certified in liquid based cytology and certified in appropriate computer assisted technology
3) Proficient screening and interpretation skills required to diagnose both conventional and LBC preparations including rendering of negative diagnoses and issuing of formal reports according to the Bethesda reporting system, appropriate selection of the most representative abnormal cells of a disease process and developing accurate preliminary diagnoses reportable the pathologist
4) Working knowledge of cytopreparatory and lab techniques/skills pertaining to the cytopathology laboratory
5) Proper microscope use and maintenance
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science (Required)
Cytotechnologist – American Society for Clinical Pathology
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.